Connections in Boston and Chicago O'Hare

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a five-hour layover in Boston on our way to Ireland this fall (flying Baltimore - Boston - Dublin). I know we'll have to check our 21" suitcases for the transatlantic flight on Aer Lingus from Boston to Dublin; I'm not sure if we'll have to check those bags on the American Eagle flight from Baltimore to Boston.

Question is, should we check the bags through from Baltimore to Dublin? I'm actually concerned that the five-hour connection time could allow the bags more time to get lost in the shuffle. Might we be safer taking the time in Boston to retrieve our bags and re-check them at the Aer Lingus counter? Would it be better to gate check them?

On the return, we have a connection time in Chicago O'Hare of just under two hours. We've never flown through O'Hare, so I don't know the terminal layout. Given the extra time for customs and the like, is our 1:56 connection time enough?
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:10 AM
mjz

corbow - I certainly understand your concern over lost luggage, however, I would definitely have American check your bags all the way through to Dublin. Regarding O'Hare, I use this airport alomst weekly. 1:56 minutes is adequate time to make your connection. Your return Aer Lingus flight will arrive in terminal 5 at ORD. Your departing AA flight to Baltimore will leave out of H, K or L. G if American Eagle.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:14 AM
mjz

Sorry...I meant to say terminal 3 -concourse G,H,K or L for American Airlines at Chicago O'Hare.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:22 AM

On your outbound leg, it's really up to you which way to do it. If you worry about the lost luggage and don't mind a little more hassle bringing your 21" through security in Baltimore, you can definitely just have it gate-checked for the Eagle flight.

The bags can get lost so many different ways that it's no guarantee your bags won't get lost by Aer Lingus' agent in Boston, but I understand your thinking that the chance may be lower.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 10:22 AM

I don't fly as often as mjz but I do fly through O'Hare on international flights about three times a year. I agree with mjz that 1:56 should be fine.

I usually land at O'Hare late afternoon and can get through customs, etc. pretty quickly (I don't check my luggage, however). The train that shuttles between terminals arrives every five or ten minutes. The first stop after you leave Terminal 5 is Terminal 3. You then have to go through security before the hike to your gate. I've never encountered lengthy lines at security, at least in the late afternoon.

I'd say the whole ordeal, arrival to departure gate, takes me 30-45 minutes max.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I should probably clarify that our return is Dublin-Chicago-Portland (Oregon), so the Chi-PDX leg is on a larger AA plane. I don't imagine that makes much difference as to which O'Hare terminal we fly out of. (We're visiting family near Baltimore on our way to Ireland, so that's why our Ireland trip originates in Baltimore.)

I usually prefer to keep my luggage with me on outbound travels, but I usually don't mind checking it on the way home 'cause the impact of a misrouting is lessened. Except for a trip to Puerto Vallarta a couple of years ago, I haven't flown internationally in 32 years!