Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Connection Time at O'Hare (Domestic to Int'l Flight)

May 7th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi all:

I'm thinking of booking an award flight from SNA--ORD--MUC in October, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not 1.5 hours is enough of a layover. All flights are with United, but I'm not sure if this routing would mean changing terminals at ORD or not. It very well could be considering an international flight is involved. The other option is to be laid over for nearly three hours in Chicago, and while I'd prefer not to do that, I also don't want to cut it too close and be doing Olympic sprints through the concourses.

Does anyone have any insight into whether or not this shorter layover is a poor choice? I realize erroring on the side of caution is a general rule of thumb, but this also might be a totally doable thing, so I just wanted to ask.

Thx in advance!
May 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM

You will not have to change terminals on the outbound. United's (and Lufthansa's, if it's a codeshare) international flights depart from Terminal 1, which is the same terminal at which you will arrive from SNA. Ninety minutes should be plenty of time, unless your flight from SNA is significantly late.
May 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thx Ms_Go. That's exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. I guess I'll do it and hope the flight from OC isn't delayed.

I appreciate it
May 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Sorry, posted before I finished...

You will have to change terminals on the return, from T5 to T1. I would not be comfortable with less than 90 minutes for that. If you're talking about the return, are there other flights to SNA later in the day if you miss the connection?
May 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Oh, the return layover is long... it arrives into ORD from MUC at 3:00 p.m. and doesn't depart until almost 8:00 p.m. that night. I don't mind the longer layover on the way back since I'm gaining time as I head west, and it won't be that late when I get home to OC. Thanks so much for this helpful info...you're the best!
May 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM

1.5 hours should be enough in T1 on your outbound flight. But don't dilly dally. T1 has 2 concourses -- B and C -- and between them is quite a hike, although on escalators and moving sidewalks but it can still take a bit of time.
May 11th, 2009, 02:27 PM

90 minutes should be plenty of time. It's nice to know though that incase your flight is delayed for whatever reason, there is a slightly later flight as a possible backup.
May 13th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Also, on the outbound trip, the connection to an international flight should be no different than to a domestic flight. Your passport will have been scanned before the first segment, and you will get both boarding passes then, so there would be no hold-ups at ORD (but you might be asked to display the passport along with the boarding pass as you enter the jetway for the overseas flight).