Reload this Page >

Connecting in STL vs DFW/ORD

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Rich

Now that American has swallowed up TWA, connecting through St. Louis is an option for me when I'm travelling coast-to-coast. I've connected through DFW and O'Hare many times, but have never set foot in the St. Louis airport.<BR><BR>For those who are familiar with all three, is STL a better connection choice than ORD or DFW? I'm thinking in terms of ease of connections, distance between AA gates, shops/dining choices, clean restrooms, sense of chaos in the terminal, etc.<BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 02:55 PM
sister

I would much rather connect in STL. Forget ORD...too many factors to consider--weather and air traffic congestion. I don't mind DFW, but it AA is all over the place there--A,B, C terminal..if you have 40 minutes and have to make a C to B..yikes! Don't take the slow train system! Downside--not good food eateries in STL as DFW and ORD have--! I guess it boils down to this: Close connection? STL! 2 hour layover...hmmmm....DFW!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:09 PM
AA

I try to avoid STL, the reason being, one is stuck on old TWA metal. Most if not all planes are still the old TWA planes. One major shortcoming, at least for me, no power outlets in the seats Ican't work/play with my laptop for too long without that. I do like to watch DVDs on longer flights. All the AA metal is set up for power, and the rumor is that they will not do that with TWA planes, till they have to replace them. Airports are airports, you have the bars, MickeyDs, Fridays, etc....etc.....

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Dick Yeager

Rich,<BR><BR>I'm trying the St. Louis connection Wednesday from Raleigh-Durham to San Jose. Like you, I usually do the ORD or DFW bit. I HATE DFW! Everytime I have flown through there I have been delayed either for equipment problems or weather. Again, the 20 mile walk (it seems) between terminals is a PIA.<BR><BR>I don't know about AA's comments on the aircraft. I'm flying MD-80s, which is one of my favorite airplanes. I'm also not concerned with plug ins.<BR><BR>Will let you know when I return.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Rich

Dick--RDU is my home airport. I started accumulating AA miles when they had a hub here, so I just never got around to flying TWA. I lived in Nashville for a few years, too, but 90% of the time flew either AA or WN out of there. Let me know how you find St. Louis! I hadn't really given it any thought until I was looking at schedules on aa.com the other day and found itineraries connecting me through STL.<BR><BR>I have actually had better luck weather-wise going through DFW than ORD, but prefer both to doing Delta through ATL because I don't think I have ever landed in ATL when we didn't have to wait for another plane to get off our gate, whether we were arriving on-time, early, or late.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Dick Yeager

Rich,<BR><BR>As promised, here is my reaction on flying through St. Louis-Lambert.<BR><BR>FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe how well it went. Once you land, you don't have to taxi for 20 minutes. The terminal is compact enough and has people movers, so connections of 50-60 minutes leave you with time for a beer!!<BR><BR>You don't have the "running" feeling that you do in DFW.<BR><BR>That said, I came back throug DFW yesterday. For the first time ever, my connecting flight left from the same terminal as my arriving flight. I couldn't believe it! Also, the only delay was upon departing and the line up to take off. Not too bad for DFW.<BR><BR>My preference now is 1-STL, 2-ORD and 3-<BR>DFW.<BR><BR>One final thing about St. Louis: That was my first time in that part of the country. I couldn't believe how flat it was!! I mean FLAT! I truly believe if you looked West, you would be able to view the Rockies!<BR><BR>Dick

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Michelle

A couple of perks I LOVE about STL (I hate DFW and will do anything to avoid). Smoking lounges every 10 gates or so and the massage therapists set up between concourses. I will drop $20 for a fifteen minute pick me up rub anyday. Chase that with a cold beer and I am good to go the rest of the way.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Rich

Thanks for the report, Dick. Did you find that going to/from STL put you on the old TWA planes like "AA" above said? Then again, I don't have a laptop or anything else to plug in, so I guess I don't care that much...as long as the plane doesn't seem so old you feel like you're on the Wright Brothers' plane.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Dick Yeager

Rich,<BR><BR>While the plane was painted with AA colors, I think it was originally a TWA MD-80. The flight crew were former TWA people as well. No big deal.<BR><BR>Dick