Concerned about American Airlines Miami-Lima

Nov 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Concerned about American Airlines Miami-Lima

Several posters on Fodors and Tripadvisor Peru forums have indicated problems with the American Airlines flights from Miam-Lima-Miami. Criticisms include old,poorly maintained planes and equipment and seriously late or cancelled flights. I would appreciate hearing from any posters on this forum who have had experience with flying AA on this route.

We are starting our journey in Phoenix and could instead fly Continental from Houston to Lima, if people are really dissatisfied with the AA flights.
Nov 24th, 2007, 08:42 PM

I've flown the route many times, most recently last month. It's been fine, no better or worse than any other route I fly. Delays and cancellations happen these days, but the only problem I've ever had was last month when the LIM-MIA flight was delayed by about an hour. (The incoming flight was late.) To me, that doesn't indicate "problems with the American Airlines flights."

AA has two flights to LIM, one which gets in very late at night, another which gets in before dawn. The arrival time varies, depending on if the U.S. is on Daylight Saving Time. (Peru doesn't observe DST.) I like the overnight flight if I'm connecting to a domestic flight in Peru. Those start up early in the morning.

The planes are Airbus 300s with 2-4-2 configuration in economy for both flights. They've been fine.

I'm sure rkkwan can find the stats to indicate ontime performance. Here's the way I look at these matters: If someone's flight is delayed or cancelled, they will complain about it, possibly on an Internet site. If it's on time, they don't say anything. On-time performance is the norm.

Now, the check-in procedures in Lima are cumbersome, with a lot of security to go through, including two small interviews of each passenger, one before you check in, another before you board: How long have you been in Peru? Was your trip for business or pleasure? Did you pack your own luggage? Has it been out of your sight at any time? (That type of thing.) You'd have that with Continental too.
Nov 25th, 2007, 03:49 AM

We flew this route on AA with no problems. We were delayed about an hour but delays are unfortunately pretty common everywhere. The plane and onboard experience were fine. I agree that check-in at Lima is a bit chaotic so give yourself plenty of time. Bottom line. Don't worry about this aspect of your trip and have a great time.
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. I would go with price, itinerary and FF program (not necessarily in that order). If AA fits you better, fly AA; if CO fits you better, fly CO.

Haven't heard of problems with AA's LIM flights.
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insights on AA flights from Miami to Lima. I prefer to use AA, since the connnection times are good and I can upgrade with miles. You've given me the confidence to go ahead with my reservations.
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM

I'll add this: I think Lima has a very nice airport, such an improvement since it went through a major remodeling about three years ago. If you remember the old Jorge Chavez airport, the new one is a dream, with nice shops, restaurants, a food court and a lot more space.

The bureaucracy is still cumbersome, and if your airline tells you to check in three hours in advance, do so. That hasn't changed, but at least it's more pleasant, spacious surroundings.
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Not involving AA, but a fun recent trip report on Flyertalk might be of interest - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760860
Nov 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo....thank you SO VERY much for posting the link to this trip report. Since I'll be making the same trip next August, I was hanging on her every word.What a great trip report....what a neat lady.
Dec 9th, 2007, 02:04 PM

The risk in flights to South America is not in the airline so much as it is in the infrastructure, which in some countries is very substandard.

If you like to worry, there's a very unsettling video on YouTube in which an Air France pilot (speaking flawless English) tries unsuccessfully to communicate with an airport controller in Rio and nearly runs out of fuel trying to get to a runway that is both open and safe. Unfortunately this sort of problem is not exceptional in many countries.