Codeshare Flights/Luggage Fees

Sep 15th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Codeshare Flights/Luggage Fees

I recently redeemed miles on Continental for a domestic trip next week. While I made the arrangements on the Continental web site, the flights are actually on United. As a Continental debit card holder, I'm entitled to one bag that can be checked for free. Does anyone know if this privilege will apply to my United flights, or will I get stuck paying a fee to check my bag?
Sep 16th, 2010, 02:50 AM

UA's rules apply to UA's flights.
Sep 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Depends on the carrier you check-in with. If your first (or only) flight is on UA, then it's UA's fees rules.
Sep 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM

I just checked with AA in regards to fees on a domestic flight connecting from Cathay, returning from Bali/Hong Kong. I was told as long as Cathay checked me through to my final destination which includes AA I would not have to pay the domestic baggage fees, even though I have an overnight between connections (there is no flight available). I am hoping they are right!
Sep 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM

nycuwsapt you will be charged the UA bag fees. It is the rules of the operating carrier that determine what fees you pay. CO debit card exemption applies only to CO operated flights.

Neuman65 - if your bags are checked through to your final destination by Cathay you will not be charged the domestic fee. If you retrieve your bags for your overnight stay and have to re-check them for your next day departure then you would likely be hit with the fee.
Sep 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I'm going to try to make a go of it with my carry on then.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 12:02 PM

I would call the airline and double check with them on the luggage fee.

Coach-Sharing is going to be a norm. I recently did a Vancouver-Singapore return flight and had the same problem with the luggage, all I did was made a call to the first airline that I am flying with. As long as you do not take your luggage out until your final destination, the other airline have to honour the luggage requirment of the first airline that you flew in.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 12:17 PM

>Coach-Sharing is going to be a norm.

It is code sharing.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:03 PM

I have flown twice recently on international flights from JFK (on Egypt Air and on Lufthansa) and took domestic airlines from San Francisco to JFK, booked on a separate intinerary. I was expecting to be charged for luggage, or at the least an argument at check-in, but did not pay extra in either instance. I did check my luggage all the way through on my flight out, but on the way back had to take it through customs in JFK and recheck it with the domestic airline. Maybe it was my lucky day, or then possiby just my good looks!!
Sep 24th, 2010, 01:30 PM

p_gill - Your bags were tagged through to SFO. Even though you have to claim it for customs. If they were NOT tagged to SFO, and you have to check it again with the US carrier, you'll be charged with domestic baggage fees.