Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > New York to Scotland, Any Advice or Warnings on Airlines, Stopovers, Etc?

New York to Scotland, Any Advice or Warnings on Airlines, Stopovers, Etc?

Sep 12th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

New York to Scotland, Any Advice or Warnings on Airlines, Stopovers, Etc?

Mrs. Peabody and I are considering a trip to Scotland for next year, late spring or early summer, but August may be a possibility. We've never been there. I am looking at various online sources for air flights and would like to know what others have experienced.

Context: We are on Long Island, so flying out of Newark is a distinct minus as it adds 2 hours each way on airport access plus risks severe unplanned delays. We have also never been to Iceland or Ireland, but have been to London several times. A stopover in Reykyavik might be nice, as for Ireland it would be more like a few days in Dublin, and there is no reason to add London to the trip. Or, we could do purely Scotland. The main factor would be expense and convenience.

As to the flights to and from Scotland, we want to see Edinburgh, but have less interest in Glascow, both of which have airports. As I have no experience driving on the left, I would like some city time to adjust for jetlag before hiring a car. Is there easy public transport from Glascow airport to Edinburgh?

Whatever we do, we would strongly favor nonstop flights.

Anyone with practical experience?
Sep 12th, 2010, 10:59 AM
P_M

If you strongly favor non-stop flights then it's a shame Newark is such a minus. I checked orbitz.com and the flights from Newark to either Edinburgh or Glasgow leave in the evening, anywhere from 7:45 pm to 10pm. Is it possible to drive to Newark earlier in the day then find some place to kill time near the airport? If this were my trip I would much prefer that to a layover somewhere.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a great trip, Edinburgh is a fine city.
Sep 12th, 2010, 11:26 AM

I know of no non-stop flights from the US to Edinburgh. If I'm on LI and want to get to Edinburgh, then it's a no-brainer for me: fly out of JFK to London, then connect to EDI. Lots and lots of flights between each of these. The alternative, driving to EWR, taking the single non-stop to GLA, then taking a train or bus to Edinburgh, sounds painful by comparison.

Know that August is a very busy time in Edinburgh, with the Festival and the Fringe being amazing. It also means that hotels must be booked months in advance.

Also, before you go, be sure to learn how to spell Glasgow and pronounce Edinburgh.
Sep 12th, 2010, 11:46 AM

Actually, Continental has a non stop from EWR to EDI.
Sep 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM

> Actually, Continental has a non stop from EWR to EDI.

They do, indeed! Thanks, mjz_kc; my bad.
Sep 12th, 2010, 10:58 PM

<<< it's a no-brainer for me: fly out of JFK to London, then connect to EDI. >>>

It's actually just as easy to fly to the likes of Dublin, Amsterdam, Paris or Frankfurt then connect to Edinburgh
Sep 13th, 2010, 01:33 AM

I strongly favor non stop flights. Hope many non stop flights be opened widely.
Sep 13th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

I'm coming up with about the same. I don't like connecting flights because of the added time and increased risk of missed flights and lost baggage, and i don't like Newark due to the extra time to get there and having been trapped for 3 hours on a blocked highway trying to come home from there the last time I used that airport.

It also looks like if I want to stay a few days in the connecting city, I'll be stuck with a much higher airfare. Didn't Icelandic used to offer a Reykyavik stopover package for a decent price?
Sep 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Be aware that throughout most of August Edinburgh is extremely crowded and expensive owing to the Edinburgh International Festival and associated Fringe Festival. (Next year the dates are 12 Aug. - 4 Sept.) That's good and bad news: the good news is that the city is amazingly alive and electric during the festival; if you haven't been to Scotland, then combining a visit outside the central belt (Edinburgh - Glasgow) - maybe to the Highlands - with some plays, performances or general fringing in Edinburgh, makes for a dynamite holiday. The bad news is that everybody else has the same idea, so plane reservations and especially advance hotel bookings are paramount for that time. Staying outside Edinburgh during the festival and commuting in and out doesn't really work - it's in the city you want to be.

If you don't want to travel to EWR from Long Island then you're committed to having to change planes someplace. The added time will almost certainly be greater (i.e. having to change planes, go through immigration/customs, re-clear security and then wait for the flight and the flight itself vs. the extra hour or so to get to EWR vs. JFK... well...

However, American flies nonstop overnight from JFK to Manchester, and one can then take the train straight from the Manchester airport to Edinburgh Waverley Station (we did so four weeks ago.) It's not as fast as flying directly to Edinburgh, but it's pretty convenient, especially if you're starting in Queens or L.I.

That said, the pending joint business venture between American Airlines and British Airways might very well result in some "long/thin" routes being created or reinstated, and direct service from JFK to Scotland is a strong possibility.
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM

<<< (Next year the dates are 12 Aug. - 4 Sept.) >>>

That's the dates of the International Festival. The Festival Fringe is between the 6th & 29th August with previews on the 3rd to 5th August.
Sep 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Interesting ideas, Gardyloo. We shall consider them. Is there anything to do in manchester?

No responses re Iceland yet. I'll wait. And, if AA and BA link up, maybe they'll run a promotional sale.

By the way, I do not get miffed at people who tell me I can't spell (even with red letters), or type, or proofread even. I know. Actually, I was so proud of getting Reykyavik and Edinborough right that I missed Glasgow. Or is that Edinburg? Or something.
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:22 PM

"Actually, I was so proud of getting Reykyavik and Edinborough right that I missed Glasgow. Or is that Edinburg? Or something."

It's Edinburgh, but pronounced as if it were Edinborough, and Reykjavik.

We would all love to be able to fly nonstop everywhere from an airport that's close to where we live. It's not a realistic expectation. So you have to connect somewhere ... You can do it.
Sep 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Amy

Icelandair flies into Glasgow from JFK and it looks as if they still have their free stopover plan, which is very nice. Reykjavik is a great little city and Iceland is gorgeous and definitely worth your time, particularly in summer. The prices on Icelandair are usually pretty good, and they do have a newsletter that keeps you posted on the best prices.
Sep 18th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Glasgow is wonderful. Edinburgh is wonderful Edinburgh is Manhattan, Glasgow is Brooklyn.

Icelandair to GLA is really easy. One medium length hop, one short hop with a bit at Keflavik to stretch your legs. Everyone we know from Scotland has done the stayover and liked it a lot. Flight attendants on Icelandair are not effusively friendly, but they are efficient.
Sep 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

I shall definitely check out the Icelandic route. How long or short is a reasonable stopover in Reykjavik?
Sep 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Amy

You can see a lot with a three day stopover; at one point, that was the longest allowed time for a free stopover, but I'm not sure what the case is now. If you have more time there is definitely more to do! Here are some ideas for you:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...in-iceland.cfm

Photos are here:
http://travel.webshots.com/album/569734296LtBiWA
Sep 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM

Flying direct to Glasgow or Edinburgh is very pleasant way to go, as you make immigration and customs in a much smaller airport, than flying through the big hubs, although I have to say, I've always wanted to visit Iceland.

Just ask for any info about Glasgow, I live here
Sep 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, alihutch. Glasgow always gets a lot less interest than Edinburgh (see above Brooklyn reference). Let's hear some great things about Glasgow!
Sep 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM

I will do, just away at the moment, but will try and write some things in the next few days. Last weekend it was Open Doors and I got to see some amazing buildings, that I hadn't seen before. It's a great vibrant city...
What are your interests?

Search this Thread