Reload this Page >

Checking Luggage at AA

Search

Checking Luggage at AA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:17 AM
BagBoi

Checking Luggage at AA

My TA just emailed me a blurb that American Airlines effective Dec 15 will begin to charge $25 per piece of checked luggage that weighs between 50 and 70 pounds.Bags 70-100 will be charged $50.Naturally, the idea wud be to check at curbside whenever possible.This is not excess baggage but regular checked bags.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Ed

Seems reasonable to me. It continues to irk me when people try and take advantage of a system. Uh lets not ship things and put them in our luggage to save a stinkin 5 bucks.<BR><BR>Only bring what you need in your suitcase---not a kitchen sink.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Keith

Ed,<BR><BR>That doesn't work as well for those of us trying to bring back brandy from France.<BR><BR> Keith

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Alexandra

Hi,<BR><BR>I think that the special baggage fee applies only for travel during the Holiday season, and may only apply to certain destinations.<BR>Most airlines have special baggage rules during the heavy holidays travel season.<BR>You should call AA directly to find out if any baggage regulations apply to your dates or destination.<BR><BR>Alexandra

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 05:05 AM
BagBoi

A-<BR>It is NOT seasonal.Most seasonal baggage restrictions apply to LatinAmerican destinations.No need to call.Its on the website<BR>http://www.aa.com/content/customerSe...llowance.jhtml

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 05:40 AM
x

Actually, you do need to call:<BR><BR>&quot;The free baggage allowance varies by international destination. Please contact an American Airlines representative at 1-800-433-7300 for specifics&quot;

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:09 AM
baglady

It's not just AA that is charging for excess baggage weight. Northwest is also charging the same amount for bags over 50 pounds and it is not a seasonal thing. The airlines are trying to find ways of generating revenue any way they can. I even read somewhere that one airline (Continental I think) was considering charging for advance seat assignments! I also suspect that the other major US airlines are also going to charge extra for luggage over 50lbs if they aren't already.