Check your seats on UA!

Search

Check your seats on UA!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your seats on UA!

Every once in a while this happens.... UA does some sort of computerized reseating, which means you lose the seats you have specifically selected for your flights. Take heed, I just had to re-assign my seating on my flights to Bangkok on Oct 21. There was a "schedule change" (of only a few minutes) which meant that seat assignments were left open. The seat I had given myself was GONE by the time I got on line to select seating..... grrrrr WHY do you do this, UA???

Just a warning! If you have assigned seating, you might want to go to "My Itineraries" on UA and check them to make sure you still have what you want!

Carol
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
yk

UA's not the only airline that does this!
http://www.fodors.com/community/air-...g-my-seats.cfm
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 03:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
even selecting your seat doesn't mean you're guaranteed that seat. Lately I've had more reassignments at check in than not
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM

Same happened to us on Delta, no schedule changes. They just kept moving us back. We thought, it's because we got the cheapest tickets
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM

Yes, I've found that it's a good idea to periodically check my seat assignments in "My Itineraries" - I've had my seating changed several times.

Luckily each time I caught it early enough to change it back to something comparable to what I originally had.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:40 AM

That happened to me on Delta for a flight I have booked for this upcoming Christmas time. Luckily I happened to catch it when I did and snagged a good seat while it was all pretty much open. Doesn't that make you MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:49 AM

This happens to me often with the UA. My guess is that it increases their revenue.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

I thought I had changed my seat back to my seat of choice, but today I looked and it was back to what THEY thought was a good seat. I tried several times to change the seat, but it would not "save" my selection. I finally called the number on the back of my FF card. I was given my seat choice and it is now on "my itineraries." But I plan to keep on watching it, none the less.

Carol
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM

I look for UA schedule changes just about every day.

I have a theory that when United has a change and reassigns seats that they just put you in the first available seat (A to Z) that meets your aisle/window preference in the first row of your cabin.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
UA just changed equipment for a flight and did not put us in the aisle/window combo for which we asked. I think they take people on the same PNR (is that it?) and just stick them next to each other irrespective of what their original seat selection was. Counter to that, last year in Biz class they changed to the newer flat lie biz class seats and put my husband and I across the aisle from each other rather than next to each other.

On this latest change, even though I checked regularly, the change occurred the day before I saw it and still UA could not accommodate our seating. UA did compesnate me rather generously for this which I wrote about in another thread, $400 UA Customer..."
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM

New seat not based on original seat, but based on seat preference in the united dot com profile. Both of you have a seat preference set in your profile?
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, we do. That would make sense for them to do that though.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Also check for itinerary changes! When I logged into my account this morning, I discovered that the non-stop between Seattle and Narita has been discontinued beginning mid-November. We'll get to fly our usual routing on the way to Bangkok SEA-NRT, NRT-BKK, but on the return it will be BKK-NRT, NRT-SFO, SFO-SEA.

Oddly enough, while they have often left me a voicemail message when a flight time has been changed by a few minutes, I only discovered the re-routing by logging into my account.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 06:28 PM

False alarm. It turns out the flight was only discontinued for a few days while they converted to the new Biz seats. I was able to change my return by one day and get the non-stop again.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

I paid upgraded price for ORD to BKK next month. I managed to get my return seats in biz class on UA (yipeee!). Still hoping to get the trip over there as well, in biz, since I paid extra in hopes of being upgraded. I watch it everyday (including re-claiming my favorite seat... which they snatched away from me, the basis for this thread) so glad I spotted that and managed to get my seat back, even tho I hope to move "up" before I depart!!

Good for you, Kathie. Glad your flight has not been completely discontinued!! You'll like the flat seats in biz.