CDG Star Alliance Lounge

Jan 31st, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

CDG Star Alliance Lounge

Arriving at CDG on an Air Canada flight - does anyone know if it is possible to use the depature lounge on arrival for a shower? i.e. is it possible to stop off at the deparuture lounge before clearing customs?
Anyone done this?
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:11 PM

If you have a *A Gold card then you would be eligible to enter it because of your same-day international flight. I'd assume the lounge is plane-side, like otherse elsewhere so before customs and pp control. If you were asking about FRA then I would say yes, I've done it.

The following webpage mentions the LH lounge at CDG.
http://www.staralliance.com/star_all...ld_member.html

ms_go, if you see this, the above webpage describes guest priveleges at *A gold lounges.
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:15 PM

wombat, I fly into CDG about every nine months on Air Canada and have used their Maple Leaf Lounge many times when departing.

I had to think about this for a few minutes to remember the drill at CDG, but I think arriving passengers have to go through passport control or a connections checkpoint. There is a glass wall between the arrivals walkways and the departures area, which keeps you out of the departures waiting areas. I think the only way into the AC lounge is from the deaprtures area.

Assuming you could cross over and get into the lounge, I don't recollect that there are any showers. As a matter of fact, there isn't even a washroom in the lounge; you have to use the public facility across the hallway from the door fo the Maple Leaf Lounge.

If you'd like to be absolutely certain, you could post your question on the AC forum at FlyerTalk. There are at least two other posters there who go through CDG far more often than I do. You have to register to post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=375

Bit of a coincidence--I'm flying to CDG on AC tomorrow evening, although looking out my window at a Halifax blizzard, I'm hoping the weather clears in time.

Anselm
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:19 PM

wombat, just to be clear ... are you arriving CDG on AC and entering France, or are you arriving and connecting to another flight?

Anselm
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:11 PM

If your final destination is Paris, then I don't think you will be able to use ANY lounge, unless *A has an arrivals lounge.

If you are connecting, then it will be very possible. It's different during domestic ops, but international arrivals require a BP for a connecting flights.

Just think of it this way. If the arrival paxs were able to mix with departing paxs before they cleared customs, the possibilities of smuggling (whatever) would be infinite?

In LHR the departure lounges are forbidden to allow anybody in unless they have a BP for onward flight. I'm just guessing, that even if it was physically possible, the same rules apply for the lounges in CDG.
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:56 PM

One may not stop at the departure lounge on arrival. There is an arrivals lounge with nice showers at CDG, and it is outside the secure area, after passport control and customs. We learned about it when having to wait a few hours for a relative on a later flight and the Continental concierge arranged access (based, I think in top tier elite status and flying in the front of the plane) and it was quite pleasant.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Mny thanks for the info - I am not transiting but am entering France and was hoping to have a quick spurce up before ctahcing TGV.

AA - Your recolectionis the sam eas mine that you have to clear customs almost as soon as you get off the flight - but I can't remember whether if you turn right or left after the walk way you could get to the lounge. I will post on the flyertalk forum.

Seamus, was the lounge you used Continental - in which case I think I am out of luck - I have top status on AC but that doesn't help with Continental
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:19 PM

The "Lounge Project" site (now somewhat outdated I fear, but still useful) does not show any arrivals lounges at CDG.
https://www.quickbase.com/db/6vcfnaqu?a=q&qid=8
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:39 PM

wombat - no, it is not a CO lounge, but the arrangements were made by the CO BusinessFirst concierge (CO pays a fee for each person who uses it, I am certain). I forget which airline actually staffed the place - there were two or three uniformed personnel on duty. This was about a year and one half ago.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Seamus - AC does not have a concierge in CDG - but I will see what I can do
Feb 3rd, 2006, 08:53 AM

Hi wombat. I went through CDG yesterday morning. Here's the drill on arrival: AC docks at 2A (yesterday it was one of the gates in that round annex affair--the Maple Leaf Lounge is in the basement of that structure). When you de-plane, you turn right on a walkway which is physically separated from the folks who are leaving. It is a glass wall most of the way. You ultimately arrive at passport control, so I can confirm there's no getting around it.

AC does have concierge service at CDG for its Super Elite and full J-class passengers. I don't have their coordinates (I am a lowly Elite), but a couple of the guys on FlyerTalk sing their praises quite regularly.

Just as an aside, my flight from Halifax was one of the first out after the blizzard, but a 90-minute delay ate up most of my connection time in Montreal. It all worked out in the end. The crew in Executive First to CDG were excellent. An we had an interesting landing ... we missed our approach in heavy fog and climbed back up for a 25-minute tour of northern France. Got in on the second attempt, as visibility was markedly improved.

Kudos to Air Canada on all aspects of this trip.

Anselm
Feb 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM

We've been told on several AA flights into CDG (business class) that we were welcome to use the arrivals lounge--but we've never found it.
Feb 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Anselm - you are rigt there is a conceirge at CDG - had no idea just assumed that with the about of AC traffic it woud not be worth having one there.
Thanks for reporting back - it was my recollection that you could not get to the lounge but have not been into CDG for over a year.

Glad to hear the AC crew were good - people complain about AC but I generally think they are pretty good - am looking forward to the new falt beds that are not onlt flat but also horizontal.

Was sorry to see that the 2006 upgrade certificates were personalized - so you cannot give them to a friend. Have to thank the people selling the certificates on ebay for that.