caribbean sun

Dec 8th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

caribbean sun

Hello,
I did a search and couldnt come up with any info on this airline. Planning to puddlejump out of sju to stt. Also wondering what timeframe I need in between connections in sju.
thanks,
Susan
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Sunnyboy

Caribbean Sun is a relatively new airline. Like all small island carriers sometimes their flights depart on time and sometimes they are delayed. No telling what will show up the day you travel but all things consider it has a good reputation.

Although I've made shorter connections in SJU generally speaking you'll need at least one hour between flights and preferably an hour and a half. A lot will depend on your inbound airline, the day and time of your inbound flight and whether or not you are checking bags or doing only carry-on.

For instance, if you are coming in on American (Terminal D)with checked bags they do not have a baggage handling arrangement with Caribbean Sun (which departs from Terminal A) so you will first have to exit Terminal A, go to the lower level to collect your bags, go back upstairs to the Caribbean Sun desk in Main Terminal to check in and get your boarding pass (note the ticket agents work on "island time"), proceed through security (more often than not expect long lines) and then walk to the Gate which is in the 30's on the lower level at the far end of Terminal A. FYI - depending on how spry you are it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to walk from Terminal D to Terminal A.

Dec 9th, 2004, 04:02 AM

My husband recently flew Caribbean Sun between SXM and SJU without incident. Flight left on time, arrived on time, was not very full, etc. I agree, however, that most local Caribbean airlines don't have a 100% on time record, so bear that fact in mind when allowing for connection time.
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sunnyboy and Statia, Its scary taking your family on one of these unknown airlines. Thanks for the feedback.
Susan
Dec 17th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Susan I am not a fan of island hoppers!
Just last month I chose Caribbean Star-(same company as Caribbean Sun)as they
are to the best of my knowlege American owned. I was reluctant to use Liat, as they have their financial problems, and other "horror" stories-although they now
have a better reputation. Our flight was on time, a Dasher 8, not too full, it left St. Martin on time, made a brief stop in St. Kitts, then on to Antigua. It was fine!