Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Can someone help me with TACA's baggage rules??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an online chat with 2 different representatives yesterday and was confused by both of them. Maybe it was the language barrier. This is what it says on the liquids policy:

"For all flights the transport of liquids, gels and aerosols in hand luggage is restricted. These liquids must be in containers with an individual maximum capacity of 100 milliliters and checkedin. They must be packed in a self-closing clear plastic bag of not more than one liter capacity (approximately 21x21 centimeters or 8 x 8 inches)."

So from my interpretation, there are NO liquids whatsoever allowed on the carry on luggage, even if they are in the standard 3.4 oz bottles. Then they make it sound like the liquids you do bring in your checked baggage need to fit in a 8" x 8" clear plastic baggie. I don't know why that would be the case with checked luggage. I asked if we could bring as many liquids and any size liquids on the checked luggage and one of them said that you should probably limit the size and amount of what you bring and follow the plastic baggie rule and the other said that they could be as big as you want and they don't need to be in a clear baggie.

Can anyone clear this up for me??
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 05:35 AM

It's exactly the same as any U.S. airport. Any liquids or gels in your carry-on have to be in containers of 3.4 ounces or less. The have to be in a clear plastic bag no bigger than 1 quart (1 liter). Liquids are restricted that way. They are not prohibited. That's what they're getting at.

100 ml = about 3 ounces (3.4 ounces)
1 liter = about 1 quart

Any liquids can go in your checked bags, as long as you feel confident they won't break and leak, or put you over the weight allowed for checked bags.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Well they both actually told me that NO liquids are allowed on your carry on even if they are in a 3.4 oz containers. They said all that are allowed is liquid medicine if you absolutely need it.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 05:54 AM

From your other post, the airlines you are traveling are: TACA, Alaska and US Air. For the last 2, as US airlines, the standard TSA rules apply and they DO allow carryon of liquids as long as the restrictions are followed.

The quote you have above is from TACA website. It is on the page that is discussing HAND LUGGAGE which goes in the cabin. http://www.taca.com/eng/syi/bag/bagbagpol.asp?id=14

If you continue reading after your above quote, it goes on to say what items are <i>restricted</i> and note, it does not say prohibited.

I think the thing that is throwing you is the word "checkedin" - I think that means that you must show the ziplock bag to the security agent to be checked.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Ah okay you are right. The word "restricted" WAS throwing me off
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 06:18 AM

Out bound flights from the USA can carry liquids (follow TSA requirements) on board as hand luggage. I see that you will be flying TACA, if you make a connection at one of their hubs in Central America, you will still be able to carry the liquids on board to your final destination.

Inbound flights to the USA, pack everything liquid in your checkin bags, If you take anything that may appear as liquid it will be confiscated as you are screened while boarding the aircraft.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 05:25 PM

<i>landineen on Sep 28, 11 at 9:18am ...Inbound flights to the USA, pack everything liquid in your checkin bags, If you take anything that may appear as liquid it will be confiscated as you are screened while boarding the aircraft.</i>

That is simply not correct. Same 3-1-1 rules apply. Only liquids that do not comply (i.e., >100ml each or more than what fits in a single 1 quart ziploc bag) will be confiscated at security.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Seamus, you are correct, but there's one little twist. OP is going to Costa Rica (as revealed in another thread). The same 3-1-1 rules apply at security, yes. But there will be a secondary hand inspection at the gate for all flights to the U.S. The 3-1-1 bag will make it through, but any liquids purchased in the boarding area will not. A bottle of water or a cup of soda from the food court will be confiscated at that point. If you buy, say, a bottle of rum in the duty-free shops, they will package it and deliver it to you on the jetbridge, after the secondary inspection.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 03:23 AM

No problems with 3 oz liquids in baggies several times

on taca.com... Had a bottle of Pepto once that was 6

stuffed in my carry on they confiscated that a couple of

years ago after an Xray... should have brought the tabs my bad

So u even have to put Pepto (lquid) in 3 oz container/baggie

In my experience.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<So from my interpretation, there are NO liquids whatsoever allowed on the carry on luggage>

well that's not the correct interpretation.

Also realize a 3 oz. container is fairly large. I can go for 2-3 weeks on 1 or 2 oz. bottles of things like shampoo, conditioner, etc. Point being you can get a LOT into the alloweed 1 quart ziplock bag.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Yes, I understand that, Jeff, good to point that out so OP doesn't purchase something between airport security and boarding gate that might get confiscated, but the 3-1-1 rules still apply even with secondary screening.
OP - bottom line is you can take in carry one whatever you wish within the 3-1-1 rules both to and from Costa Rica. Anything above that will likely be confiscated on the way out of CR unless it is a sealed duty free purchase handed to you after secondary screening as you actually board the plane.