Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Can I "walk away" from the second leg of my flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I take a flight from Kona (KOA) to SJC, it routes KOA > LAX > SJC for $421 - a great rate. However, it has a 5.5hr layover at LAX. If I want to just get off at LAX and switch carriers, can I just walk away from the second leg?

Obviously I do not want my luggage going to SJC. If I tell the agent greeting the flight, will she notify luggage services to remove my luggage and send it to the baggage carousel? Will I be blacklisted in any way for not taking the entire flight?

When I price flying KOA > LAX, same carrier, same flight, the price $1300! Not sure why it so much cheaper to fly less (i.e., omitting SJC leg). Maybe it's a glitch in their system, if I hear back that it's okay to not finish my itinerary, I'll book it right away as they will probably honor it once it's booked.

I'm trying to get from Kona (KOA) to Buffalo (BUF). I'm trying to leave late Dec 30, get to the mainland by early next morning and then fly on to BUF, possibly switching carriers.
Any insights or suggestions much appreciated.

Enjoy-la!
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:19 AM

Have the luggage only tagged to LAX at KOA. Totally fine to do so. If asked, say you have stuff to give to friend in LA.
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Great, thx for the info, Ray. So I just have the luggage tagged KOA > LAX. And do I tell them when I arrive in LAX, that I won't be taking the segment to SJC (so they don't hold the plane waiting for me)?

Enjoy-la!
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:02 AM

If your entire itinerary is one-way (eg KOA-LAX-SJC on one ticket) and you will not be booking a return flight on that ticket, you will be fine as per rkkwan's post. However, if you are planning to include a return flight to KOA on to that itinerary it will be cancelled should you not show up for any segment.
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

NoFlyZone, thx for that tip which is very important to know if I do this again in the future! Luckily, it is one-way this time.

In case anyone lurks this thread in the future, one feature I noticed (not sure when it started) is a complimentary 24 guaranteed hold that you can use on AA, which is good for space and fare. What a great feature!

I did not do this as the flight was so ridiculously cheap, if it was a programming error I wanted to secure the flight with a credit card transaction processed. I've been watching flights for this trip and most stop in HNL before heading on to LAX; Delta has a direct flight but it's $1200+!

Now just going to watch fares for LAX > BUF but that flight will be easy. So excited that the big airfare is booked for my first trip to Hawaii!

Thx again for the speedy help - enjoy-la!
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:41 AM

DO NOT tell anyone you're not going to board the 2nd flight. Grab your bags and walk away. End of story. No one will be holding the plane for you.
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:33 AM

It may vary from airline to airline, but many have rules against what you plan on doing (I think it is called a hidden destination). Now, no one will catch you if you just happen to be late for the connection, or ill. But if you are a business traveler, for example, who does this regularly to save money, or perhaps if you bring it to their attention, they will want their pound of flesh and you will be paying the going (higher) rate for your shorter trip.
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In case rkkwan's warning is not forceful enough . . .<red><B>DO NOT TELL</red></B> anyone you aren't taking the second flight!!!!
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:45 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's called "hidden city" ticketing, and, like "throw away" ticketing (don't use the return portion of a round trip) it's expressly against the rules you agreed to in buying the ticket. In either case, only serial offenders are flagged as a rule.

As to why a longer itinerary might be cheaper than a shorter one, it all has to do with supply and demand between "city pairs." The actual cost to the airline is secondary.
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thx a mint for all the extra info! In my naivety, I had no idea of its context or implications. Really appreciate the explicit direction - mum's the word!

Enjoy-la!
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM

Back in the days of travel agents selling airline tickets (I know, ancient times) travel agents were warned of two thing airlines considered scams. One was using hidden cities as described. The other was using back to backs....say a JFK-LAX around trip was $200 as long as you stayed over a Saturday night, so you bought two round rips one from say Monday to the following Friday of the next week and a round trip home from Friday to Sunday....voila you had a Saturday night stay over on both and could save $1,000 that way.

Travel agents were warned not to do it and threatened with receiving a charge back if they were caught doing it.

In theory, if you book directly with the airline they have your credit card # and you agree to the terms and conditions of the fare and they coulde dock you for the appropriate fare. From what I read and hear, they rarely do but it's always a possibility.
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

xyz123, if I get charged, I'll be sure to post back to warn others.

Enjoy-la!