Calling all Plus-sized Flyers!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've searched in vain for any posts regarding the specific needs of airlines' plus-sized passengers. Is there anyone out there who can discuss issues such as buying two coach tickets vs. business class (for the extra room)? I'm just starting to travel more and I've been shelling out the extra bucks for BC so I'll have extra room, even though everyone keeps telling me I'm crazy to think I can't squeeze into a coach seat. I tried corresponding with UA, but they just blew me off, basically. Does anyone know of websites that deal with this issue. I couldnt' find anything on Flyertalk but I admit I can't maneurver through that website all that well.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
While my tush fits fine in coach seats, it's tight at my shoulders, and as for knees, well...

If my wife and I are condemned to coach (and we both work like mad to maintain our Überflyer status so that is less likely to happen) and if the coach cabin uses 3x3 seats then we will routinely try to buy 3 seats for the two of us. (The empty middle seat can be used for knee space if you raise the arm and sit slightly sidesaddle.) AFAIK most airlines have no problem with this (sometimes musicians book a seat for "Mr. Cello&quot but you need to tell the gate people and security people that you have the extra seat paid for, so they don't give it away. I don't know how well it works with Southwest or other scramble-system carriers.

It also helps to become familiar with the seating layout and dimensions of various aircraft used by the airlines you frequent. Some configurations are notorious; some airplanes (like MD-80s and most 777 configurations) have 2-seat outboard rows, so picking those helps.

In general the price bump going from economy to business or first class is so great that the buy-3-for-2 approach is more economical. Less fun, for sure, though.

It was disheartening to read a story from Boeing last week that the majority (60%+) of customers ordering the new 787 are ordering coach configurations with one more seat per row than originally planned - thus setting up 17.2" seat width rather than the 19" width originally designed by Boeing. 17.2" is the general minimum width now going, so don't look for the next generation of planes to be much different than today's.

Get FF status and keep it is my advice.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Gardyloo:

In your post you mention that most triple seven configurations have the two out-board seating arrangement; my questions to you are: do you know of the KLM configuration for triple seven; and we are placed in seats 23-G&F, are those window and isle.

If that is the case, than it must be 2-4-2 configuration, right?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Gradyloo:
I just answered my own questions at the following web address.

The KLM 777 uses a 3-4-3 configuration which puts our seats at isle and center.

http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/imag...cm53-16406.pdf

Thanks
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:34 AM

KLM's 777s are 3-3-3. ABC-DEF-GHJ. www.seatguru.com has the chart and comments.

In fact, most airlines in the world use the 3-3-3 seating. Noticeable exceptions are the large fleets of UA and AA, which are 2-5-2.

And a few airlines do use 3-4-3 seat with 10 seats across.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM

I think it was Southwest, they called somebody's name for pre-boarding, it was a very "wide" young man, and by the time I walked in, he was sitting in 2 seats - don't remember how he was buckled in, and the sign "reserved" was still there.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:34 AM

Where are you flying? Have you looked at Premium Economy-type seats and fares for long-haul trips on airlines like BA, Virgin, Air New Zealand, EVA, etc? They're a little wider than coach, so if it's just a couple of inches more room you need to be comfortable, this might work and be less expensive than two coach seats.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:33 AM

I did intend 3-3-3 in my previous post. Sorry about the the typo.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:12 AM

Comfort aside, I think the rule of thumb for airlines is that if you can fit in the seat without lifting the arm rest, you only have to buy one. If you can't sit in the seat without raising the armrest and spilling over into the next seat, they will make you buy the second seat.

I am a big guy, vertically and horizontally, though I am 40 pounds less than several years ago. I had never thought of the 3 for 2 seat idea outlined here. Bulk is no longer a problem for me, but this has real merit for an overseas flight, where the ability to stretch out a bit is important. Internally, I don't think my clients would pay for the extra seat, and most of my flights are short enough for it not to matter.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

I generally fly solo, so the "3 for 2" option usually won't work. I've looked into Premium economy, but it seems to me the highlights are more legroom as opposed to width. I flew the 777 to LHR recently in BC and loved it. That seat was a perfect, more than comfortable seat. I'm flying Continental BC to OSL this October. It's 20" as opposed to the UA 777's 20.5". I can handle that difference. But 17.2"--no way! I appreciate all the responses.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:00 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If a lot of your travel is to London then have a look at Maxjet - currently offering great deals from JFK-STN, starting IAD-STN pretty soon. http://maxjet.com/ Excellent reviews on FT, for instance here:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489588

For domestic, your best bet is to get status on one of the majors and upgrade as much as possible. You can also buy 2 seats yourself if you want (but sadly you only get miles on one of them.)
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:49 AM

I've flown Virgin in premium economy and found the seats noticeably wider than economy. According to seatguru, the PE seats on Virgin are 20" which is actually wider than Delta's Business Elite seats.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:54 AM

Interesting reading about the Maxjet. They use Boeing 767-200's and only hold 102 people. Prices sounded good until I realized it was based on each way.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:06 AM

If I'm not mistaken, it says $750 roundtrip.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM

MAXjet Tuesday/Wednesday Sale

Spread the news! We've extended our Tuesday/Wednesday Sale. You've got more time to book our fabulous Tuesday/Wednesday fares!

Book by 5 pm (EST) Thursday, March 2, 2006 to fly Business Class between New York and London for $750/£430* (includes taxes & fees):

1. Book between February 27 and March 2 using Promo Code JFK006

2. Book either your departure or return for any Tuesday or Wednesday in March & April**

3. Enjoy our low fares and business class service between NY and London

MAXjet is the all-business-class, low fare airline. Fly across the Atlantic in our spacious cabin with comfortable leather seats, 4 course meals, our Boutique Wine Program and personal, on-demand in-flight entertainment.

Book now for our special Tuesday/Wednesday fares and see for yourself why it's better in business class.

Rules:

*Fares displayed are roundtrip and include all taxes and fees. Travel must be booked by between February 27 and 5 pm EST March 2 for travel between March 1 and April 30, 2006. Travel must be completed by midnight April 30, 2006. Seats are limited and certain flights may be sold out due to demand. Tickets are not transferable and are non-refundable.

**Roundtrip fares are for flights between New York (JFK) and London (STN) that either depart or return on a Tuesday or Wednesday. One leg of the round trip must be for travel that departs on a Tuesday or Wednesday and the other may be for travel that departs on any other day of the week (based on availability). The Tuesday/Wednesday leg may not be changed, but the non-Tuesday/Wednesday leg can be changed by calling 888-I-FLY-MAX in the U.S. or 0800-023-4300 in the U.K. for fee of $100 or £60.

To book Tuesday/Wednesday fares, select your dates and enter the Promotion Code, JFK006. Then, click 'Next' and select your flight.

Sounds like a great deal to me!