best seats on 727 and A320

Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

best seats on 727 and A320

Getting ready to book seats for a long flight (8 hours) on Air France. Going out, we're flying a 727 (or so Orbitz says) and back is an A320.

There are seats available at the front of a row. I'd love to get some extra legroom, but wonder if there's a downside, like: can you still see the inflight video screen, etc?

Anyone have thoughts on the best seats for thse planes, or a website that discusses this?

This may seem picky but 16 hours (total) in the air is a loooong time for me! Thanks!
Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:14 AM

Air France certainly doesn't fly 727s anymore (not sure it ever did), and neither 727 nor A320 has the range to do 8-hour flights.

Please double check the plane models.

If you're talking about flights US-France, they use the 777, 747-400, A330 and A340.

Seatguru.com has information on all 4 types of planes on Air France.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:45 AM

I think you're tricked by the abbreviations. 772 = 777-200. 343 = 340-300. 332 = 330-200. Etc...

Seatguru has the plans, except the new 777-300 (773).

My guess is that you're flying a 777-200 (772) and a 330-200 (332).
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:55 AM

I'm not implying you are wide; I don't even know you. But people should be aware that very often the seats with extra leg room (such as exit row or bulkhead seats) are narrower, as the tray is in the arm of your seat, rather than hanging on the back of the seat in front of you.

Also, a lot of bulkhead seats give an illusion of more leg room, but unless their is a cutout in the bottom of the bulkhead, there is not a lot of space for your feet. Further, even though you may be able to reserve these seats, it is not uncommon for the gate agent to move you in favor of a needier person, such as a family with an infant, or some disabled people.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM

Nothing will happen to your miles in the immediate future. DL will continue to operate after a Ch 11 filing and you can still use your miles.

Which country in Africa are you planning to redeem your miles for? South African Airways is supposed to be joining Star Alliance soon. Once that happens, they will probably discontinue their relationship with DL.

Other partner carriers you can redeem flights to Africa on are KLM, Air France, Virgin Atlantic, and Emirates.

Four business class seats will be tough on any partner, and especially so on South African where I wouldn't have any expectation of being able to find 4 business seats on the same flight. Most people have a difficult time finding 2 business seats. I find Virgin Atlantic and Air France to be pretty generous partners, but since you're planning to travel in August which is peak season for transatlantic flights all bets are off.

If your destination is East Africa, then KLM and Emirates are your primary choices aside from South African. I've seen certain days where KLM showed up to 6-8 business seats available on their Nairobi or Kilimanjaro flights, but not in August. KLM will start service to Entebbe in November so you could try that flight too. I have no experience with Emirates award availability.

As a last resort if you're headed to South Africa, you could try Malaysia from Buenos Aires. I believe you would need a second award to get you from your home airport (I assume you live in the US) to Buenos Aires.

Not to sound so discouraging but trying to get 4 business tickets in August is not an easy task. Get to know all of your possible options before you call the partner award desk at DL. There might be some others that I missed. Good luck!
Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:05 AM
KT

The good thing about bulkhead seats is that you don't have to worry about the person in front of you reclining their seat into your lap. The bad things, in addition to what clevelandbrown pointed out, is that you don't have an underseat area in front of you in which to stow things, and that you have increased likelihood of being close to a (crying) infant. Personally, I shy away from bulkhead seats, though lots of other people have the opposite opinion.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:07 AM

Please ignore that last post, I posted to the wrong thread, sorry!

I think rkkwan is right and you're really on a 772 going and 332 back.

Air France is in the middle of retrofitting their premium class cabins and I don't know what effect, if any, that will have on economy row numbers.

Seatexpert has more AF seatmaps and also a link to the seatmaps on AF's own website.

The AF seatmaps on seatguru are really strange. For example for the 772, they show a reconfigured FC cabin but non-reconfigured business cabin. Seatexpert shows both cabins as non-reconfigured which is correct (as far as I know AF will not even start to retrofit the 772's until 2006). AF's own site has only been showing totally reconfigured seatmaps for some time now because AF is completely delusional

If you look at the economy section of the 772 seatmap on seatguru or seatexpert and compare it with the seatmap on the AF site, you'll find that the first row number is different. Seems to me like they will remove one row from economy when they do the retrofit. When that will happen is the question, but I'd expect the old config through the end of this year at least.

Unfortunately for me that means old business seats in December
Aug 2nd, 2005, 02:58 PM

Go to www.seatguru.com. They have seat advice for every plane and every airline.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody. You all were right; I missremembered the plane numbers. Your advice was right on target anyway, and I really appreciate it!
Sep 14th, 2005, 02:09 PM

I was going say a 727? just sit and pray.
Sep 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM
J62

don't laugh, but the entire 3 plane 'new' PanAm fleet is 727's. They serve a few small airports in the NE to Florida. Unfortunately, they are likely to disappear (again) soon, as the cost of flying a 3 engine 727 is a lot more than a comparable sized 2 engine plane.
Sep 14th, 2005, 05:47 PM

riccker20,

you think a 727 crossing the pond is bad? I did the long haul on a 707 and the Russian IL-62.
As a kid I was actually very impressed with the 707 in 1974. Christmas of 1972 my sister and I flew to Poland from Chicago on the LOT Polish Airline's IL-62. My memory is not very clear, so if I'm wrong please correct me. The plane held ~130 total, 2 seats on each side with one aisle. The overhead bins were just like your regular Greyhound bus overheads, a net...... No bins. I do remember watching a movie on a pull down screen.
Both ways we had to make a refueling stop. On the way to Poland it was at some ridiculous hour of 3-4am in Reykjavik so as a young child I don't remember very much about it. On the way back it was at mid-afternoon, but I was sooooo sick(real bad case of flu) that the crew allowed me to stay in my seat as they were re-fueling. It was an experience.

My next European flight was on a 707 and again we made the refueling stops, but the 707 seemed like a luxury jet when compared to the IL-62.
The one that really impressed me was a Lufthansa, actually their subsidary, Condor Airlines flight in 1978 on the 747. That's when I caught the travel bug and have not let it go since.
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:51 AM

I remember flying to Chile in Braniff on a 707 back in 1970 i was only 5 but I remember the color planes and seats. I think back then there was more room between seats.