BA v Iberia Business Class

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2023, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to book, most likely LHR - MEX Business class flights using Avios + Amex Companion voucher.
upon exploring the options I notice that the points required to fly MAD- MEX with Iberia were some 30% less and the taxes payable were also significantly less. Effectively, I could pay separately for flights and accommodation in Madrid and still be in pocket.

Has anyone flown both BA and iberia in Business Class and, if so, how did they compare? As it stands, BA would be in the old style Club but that could change to the new Club Suites by the time we fly next year.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 10:45 PM

I have not flown Iberia in business class transatlantic, only in short haul and it was pretty lame. But I’ve flown a few times in BA.

it seems to me that service and comfort have declined a lot over the past few years. The last time I did it (in February) I told myself “this is not even worth it anymore.” The bed was uncomfortable, food terrible, cabin crew talked loudly all through the night. If the Iberia flight is more affordable I think I’d give it a whirl, but hopefully someone else can chime in. There are also the Skytrax reviews but they seem to attract a lot of one-time complainers.
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your opinion Rialtogirl. You may well have a point re declining service in recent times. Also with the Skytrax reviews . I have used that site but did take a lookout flyertalk which also seems populated by professional whingers..
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 07:39 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's been a few years since I flew Iberia business class longhaul, but I always found it to be perfectly adequate - not outstanding but certainly acceptable.

It looks like the MAD-MEX flights are/will be operated with one of Iberia's A350-900s, which have a 1-2-1 seating arrangement; evidently a new-ish version comes close to a "suite" setup in terms of privacy. Most reviews are not especially raving about the inflight service or food, with a lot of "just okay" ratings, but most also give high marks to the "hard" (physical) product - seat, IFE, etc. Note Barajas airport is humongous, so plenty of time is needed to get around.

If it saves a lot of Avios and money out of pocket to go via Madrid, I'd certainly do so. I've had great and mediocre flights on Iberia, but the same goes for BA, AA and other airlines which I've flown in longhaul business class. Use the money you saved to upgrade your hotel or some meals in Mexico rather than worrying about an over-the-top experience on a 10 hour flight. Just my view.
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input Gardyloo. It is very helpful. The 1-2-1 would appear to offer more space and comfort than the current BA set up of 2-4- 2 though they are upgrading all their cabins with the new Club Suite but anyones guess when that will happen. Iam leaning towards MAD - MEX with Iberia as it reduces the points needed from180k to 120k and saves some £400 in taxes ( almost half) . More than enough for budget flights from LHR to MAD and a couple of nights in the Parador in Toledo!
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:28 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by crellston
More than enough for budget flights from LHR to MAD and a couple of nights in the Parador in Toledo!
Yep. View from that Parador, by the way...