BA not notifying us of flight cancellations

Old May 5th, 2022, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA not notifying us of flight cancellations

Three times since Sept BA has canceled a leg of our trips and not provided notification. Anyone else had this issue? Once under my husbands account, twice with mine. All our contact info up to date. Iíve caught the cancellations just by happenstance before hand and luckily not when we went to check in.
Old May 5th, 2022, 03:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
WHEN are the flights? That makes a huge difference. IME they usually do notify but in sort of chronological order. Hundreds (thousands really) of flights have had schedule changes and cancellations and they do not send a notification for flights months or many weeks in advance -- they simply do not have the IT or staffing capability. Often when a flight is cancelled it takes a while for them to work things out and find a reasonable new flight, so they will wait til everything is sorted and contact you with what they can offer as substitutes/options.

Not saying its right but that is how things are now (with most airlines actually - not just BA, but BA does seem to have a lot of issues)
Old May 6th, 2022, 03:39 PM

Last year I had several cancellations and schedule changes and was notified of every single one. They were flights months or in some instances, weeks in advance.The process for notifying cancellations, sched changes etc is automated and is instant. There is no manual intervention, their system takes care of it all. The notifications are sent as and when the cancellation or scheduling of the new flight/times etc have been loaded into the system. If you are not getting notifications and you believe your account AND booking has up to date correct contact information, you need to call BA and ask why you are not getting emails. Before doing that, check your booking on the BA website and look at the Change or Add Contact Details section where you can manage your contact preferences, edit existing and or add additional contact details. Most issues occur in this area where contact details are not correctly recorded. I received an email today regarding a change to schedule for a flight at the end of July.
Old May 6th, 2022, 04:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Balthy: Sure - some are notified right away. But take a quick look at Flyertalk and you will see multiple daily reports of cancellations and schedule changes primarily by BA but also by other airlines where notification was not immediate and people only learning by checking their 'Manage My Booking'. Even BA employees post there reporting the same thing. Also there are differences in notifications depending on if they are revenue flights, award flights, voucher flights, code share flights, or BAH (British Airways Holidays) or some sort of combo. One reason for 'staging/phasing' notifications is that BA is very VERY short of Customer Service personnel and many types of booking changes cannot be done on line and need human intervention. The Call Centres are simply overwhelmed.
Old May 7th, 2022, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies. Yes, in my experience this is more of a BA issue. We fly primarily United, Southwest, AF, and BA and we've only had this issue of no notifications with BA. It's interesting because with the cancelation this week (my family all on same flight, my husband booked separately as it is thru work), my husband was never notified and he paid full rev business. You'd think he would have been one of the first notified and rebooked. And it's interesting BA doesn't seem to rebook you either automatically as other airlines do. Anyway, I only found out about the cancellations with this trip (my ticket) as Amex's schedule change department called to rebook the canceled flight. Moving forward I will just pay very close attention when we have a reservation with BA. And trip insurance. . Shame we have had this issue as we really like BA planes, staff, and LHR easy to fly in and out of.
Old May 7th, 2022, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

I will go back to our accounts and check those settings...
Old May 11th, 2022, 03:34 PM

I had the same happen today for our September flights. They are BA metal booked with AA frequent flier miles. I went to my AA account to check something only to find a message like "we can't show you your reservation, contact us". Before I called them I checked both AA and BA websites and sure enough one of our legs the flight doesn't exist any more. When I talked to AA agent this afternoon she said it is happening with BA, they know BA is not notifying, so AA is going through weekly and notifying their customers directly about those BA flights. She could tell in my reservation that the leg had been cancelled on May 6, so 5 days ago, but there was no other flight substituted yet. I worked it out with her on the call a new flight. But if I hadn't checked not sure when I would have found out or if any business class seats would have still been available. And it is not my settings with AA. This week I received by email from AA a schedule change on another flight.
Old May 15th, 2022, 08:10 AM

I booked our BA flights in November 2021 for our trip from Seattle to Ljubliana and returning from Dubrovnik in August/September 2022. All four of our flights have been canceled/changed. I was notified of all changes via email.

The only glitch was when they canceled our flight from Dubrovnik to London, but didn’t put us on another flight automatically. I had to call customer service and get us on a flight, and change our flight home, too.
Old May 15th, 2022, 01:32 PM

Sorry to hear of everyone's travel woes regarding British Airways; I hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping for a schedule change, having booked a BA ticket with AA miles for the summer. The schedule is really unpleasant -- requiring an overnight stay so brief that the $300 it would cost for an airport hotel would cause me actual pain -- and if BA were to cancel that first leg I would get to ask AA for something easier. Still, it's a Saver ticket in July; I shouldn't complain.

Best of luck to all.

Old May 16th, 2022, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
Balthy: Sure - some are notified right away. But take a quick look at Flyertalk and you will see multiple daily reports of cancellations and schedule changes primarily by BA but also by other airlines where notification was not immediate and people only learning by checking their 'Manage My Booking'. Even BA employees post there reporting the same thing. Also there are differences in notifications depending on if they are revenue flights, award flights, voucher flights, code share flights, or BAH (British Airways Holidays) or some sort of combo. One reason for 'staging/phasing' notifications is that BA is very VERY short of Customer Service personnel and many types of booking changes cannot be done on line and need human intervention. The Call Centres are simply overwhelmed.
Yes janisj. Everyone's call centres have been overwhelmed but that has not prevented change notification emails going out in whatever order & volume the airline has determined as necessary so they manage workload and staffing. The OP has stated they have not got any notifications at all. That could be a different issue, they need to contact BA in some way (twitter, FB or call if they can get thru) rather than just sitting there assuming its an issue of staffing, IT etc on the basis of what someone on Flyertalk who has no visibility to the OPs booking has said.

Some of my bookings were BA Holidays, some were not. The changes were still notified in a TIMELY FASHION. In one case, the flights + hotels were being cancelled and moved out by a week on almost a weekly basis, in fact the holiday was cancelled and rebooked 7 times, originally booked for June and fnally went in August. I received notification of every single change and this was last summer, a peak time for disruption as you know. Call centres are overwhelmed but I didn't need a call centre to accept or decline the proposed changes & rebook something else.

And yes, sometimes if you are looking in Manage My Booking, the change appears there before the email notification. It has always been like that. But you should still get an email notification. And sometimes, the flight has been removed from the schedule ie cancelled and you can no longer book it before the change is reflected in Manage My Booking. Again, that is normal, its just timing but you still need to be receiving an email notification when the change hits your booking, or soon after

It is prudent to check contact details are correct as this is a source of communication errors esp if someone is not receiving any notifications at all. Updating a profile or your account with new or edited contact details does not always update an existing booking, so best check existing bookings as well as the profile. And if still not receiving any emails, contact BA on FB, twitter etc to check their side.

Old May 16th, 2022, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by mku4440 View Post
I will go back to our accounts and check those settings...

And check in your existing bookings too. If they are correct in all places, contact BA via twitter, FB or call if you can so they can check your bookings/profile on their side to see if they can spot an issue. That is all you can do.
Old May 16th, 2022, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by laurie_ann View Post
I had the same happen today for our September flights. They are BA metal booked with AA frequent flier miles. I went to my AA account to check something only to find a message like "we can't show you your reservation, contact us". Before I called them I checked both AA and BA websites and sure enough one of our legs the flight doesn't exist any more. When I talked to AA agent this afternoon she said it is happening with BA, they know BA is not notifying, so AA is going through weekly and notifying their customers directly about those BA flights. She could tell in my reservation that the leg had been cancelled on May 6, so 5 days ago, but there was no other flight substituted yet. I worked it out with her on the call a new flight. But if I hadn't checked not sure when I would have found out or if any business class seats would have still been available. And it is not my settings with AA. This week I received by email from AA a schedule change on another flight.
Are you expecting an email notification from BA directly when you booked a BA codeshare flight on the AA website? If the AA agent could tell from your booking history that your BA flight had been cancelled, then BA had notified AA of the change but AA had not notified you, AA is the owner of your booking.
Old May 17th, 2022, 10:47 AM

I wasn't clear in my description. The AA agent explained to me that BA isn't timely notifying AA of the cancellations. So AA is going through weekly on their side to look over at BA for any cancellations and then notifying and/or rebooking the AA customers. My flight had been cancelled by BA 5 days before, so it hadn't been caught in the weekly sweep yet.