Search

BA Miles Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA Miles Question

I want to use our miles to upgrade on a flight to Johannesburg. Normally we would fly from Detroit but that service has now been cancelled so we would have to fly to Chicago and then catch BA. When I go to the website to just check prices etc I get a message that says I cannot book using points the flight from Chicago as it is serviced by a partner airline. I know BA flies from Chicago because I checked. If I try using New York or Dulles there is no problem only with Chicago. Does anyone know what the problem is? I haven't phoned BA because I have no firm dates and was just checking times etc.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:10 AM

It looks like you are getting BA <b>coded</b> but AA operated flight to London. Try to pick a BA operated flight instead. Just because it has a BA flight number it does not mean that it's a BA operated flight. It's called codesharing.

btw, if you are in Detroit <b>why do you have</b> to fly through Chicago? Why not go through NYC or Washington? Why backtrack?
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:31 AM
P_M

ajy733--I tried to do the same 3 years ago and I was told the following: AA is a partner of BA so you can use BA's award tix to fly AA to another city, then continue on with BA. But be advised that when you use a partner airline with a BA award ticket, your ticket is non-refundable and non-changeable. This is why I left BA's club 3 years ago. I live in Austin which is not served by BA, so I must fly BA from either IAH or DFW. After they made this change I still had some points to use, so I bought tix from AUS to IAH, then flew from IAH on BA. This way if you have a change of plans, you can at least re-book your ticket to Europe. The ticket from AUS/IAH would not have been much of a loss.

Disclaimer: This was 3 years ago, things can change during this time. Please call BA and ask these questions.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM

I believe the OP wants to upgrade a revenue ticket, not get an award ticket. Upgrading on AA is not possible using BA points.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:41 AM
P_M

Gotcha AAFF, thanks for pointing that out.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM

AAFF - Why backtrack to ORD?

Well, I guess the OP wants to fly BA and there's no AA or other partner flight non-stop DTW-IAD, JFK, BOS or anything near the NE that the OP can connect to BA. ORD is probably the shortest &quot;detour&quot;.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:37 AM

That still does not explain &quot;why the OP <b>has to</b>&quot; fly through ORD?

The OP can't use BA miles to upgrade any AA operated flights so that's a given.

If the OP is complaining about that, it's kind of ambiguous in the original post, then all I was trying to say is that there are other options.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't read that the OP is trying to upgrade any domestic segments, just the ORD-LHR-JNB flights on BA.

I'd suspect that the problem is with the BA website. Phone BA and see if they can do it on the phone, but don't buy the tickets, just ask if they'll hold the &quot;MFU&quot; request so you can pull the trigger online.

Frankly I'd expect the upgrade will be harder to get through ORD as they have fewer flights than NYC; the DTW flight was probably easier because there wasn't much demand for premium seats. That's not the case with ORD, and that's why they don't serve Detroit anymore.