Australia Screening for flu

Apr 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Australia Screening for flu

I just read that they are going to start thermal screening all international arriving passengers to Australia at major airports starting today. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has landed & gone through this how the process works & how much extra time is involved. I am not saying they should not do it but just interested in how it is working. Thanks J
Apr 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Didn't they do that in Boston in 2003 when SARS was the big concern?
Apr 29th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Don't know about Australia, but Hong Kong and China has done this on and off since SARS in 2003. In general, the scanners are installed at customs exit or at the immigration desk. No extra time for anybody unless they find that you have fever and get pulled aside. Only thing extra is that you need to take off your hats/caps when approaching the scanners.
Apr 30th, 2009, 07:02 AM

I like the part about "fatigue" Having made that flight. Of COURSE I am fatigued... I have been in that plane forever! LOL!
Apr 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Japan is screening US and Mexico arrivals on board. No deplaning until everyone is checked.
May 1st, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

I totally agree Carol!! If they went by how you look & feel after that flight I would be in big trouble!!! They are screening in Aust using the thermal scanners you have to walk through. The govt was warning of potentially big delay's so was wandering how it was panning out once it is operational. Will be hopefully making this flight in a few weeks.
May 1st, 2009, 11:14 PM

The scanners are a waste of time, money and effort. They will catch menopausal women, women at "that time of the month", people with other bugs & people who are just plain hot.

What they won't do is catch anyone who isn't showing any symptoms of flu - and it takes up to a week for the symptoms to show

Besides what are they going to do if they find you are hot - forcibly detain you, forbid you from entering Oz and shoving you on a plane back to wherever - thus infecting more people. And what about the other people on the flight - are they going to detain them too as there's a reasonable chance that they've been infected as well