Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Are any airlines charging for coffe yet?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was checking flights today and I noticed that some airlines stated refreshments for purchase and others said food for purchase. I know some of the European discount airlines charge for water, but are any of the U.S. airlines charging for that cup of coffee, water or soda?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 07:07 AM

No.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:26 AM

At least not yet. But don't hold your breath!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:11 PM

Maybe the next step will be coin operated toilets!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Dont laugh...I read earlier in the year that Ryan Air was then set to remove the biffies in order to put a couple of rows of seats.They have already eliminated the window shades.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:21 AM

Havent seen any airline charging for coffee yet but to tell you the truth Iberia is becoming sooooo stingy that it wouldnt surprise me if they did very shortly. In fact, they have announced that for national trips they will not offer ANYTHING onboard. This is no discount carrier (itīs the national carrier) so you can imagine what direction airlines are going in... Anyhow, I found a site that gives you plenty of info about seat maps, entertaining on board, MEALS and bla bla bla... they dont have many airlines but seems ok... www.seatmaestro.com
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Shall we compile a list of who charges for coffee:

Ryanair, Easyjet, Iberia.

I was flying from Barcelona to London and back to Miami so I decided to spend all of my Euros in Barcelona. Nearly died of thurst on the Iberia flight to London. I wanted coffee and needed water. Pay for everything. I finally found enough coins for a little bottle of water.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Aer Lingus is another that previously full-service airline that has modelled itself after Ryanair in order to compete.

Coffee/tea on intra-Europe flights are 1 Euro.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

I visited this www.seatmaestro.com site and it seems to have a lot of mistakes in it. For starters, the seating for coach and business seemed to always be the same. And there was a message at the top of the screen about certain rows that always appeared. It wouldn't let me select Delta.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Off topic...

paquito,
The seatmaestro site is new to me so thanks for mentioning it. It does list a few airlines not found on seatguru or seatexpert but seems somewhat glitchy. No matter what aircraft I pull up, it gives me the same seating description (though the seatmap itself is correct). Are others having this problem too?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:33 AM

So apparently it's not just me
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Seatmaestro is a brand new site. They seem pretty ambilitous, but it'll take a long long time and lots of contributors (and visitors) to make it remotely close to being useful.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Alaskan Airlines "food" report: no peanuts, they distribute pretzel-type packages. No charge for non-alcohol drinks, and the choice was good! And all that on a short 1 1/4 hour flight San Francisco - Palm Springs.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:46 AM

Virgin Blue in Australia
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:04 AM

It seems as though the "full service" airlines are struggling to compete with the discount carriers and will do anything to cut costs. This week I noticed that Air Canada has introduced a new meal for purchase service on all hospitality service flights under 4 1/2 hours within North America effective this November. It excludes Hawaiian and Mexican flights but I am not sure why.
Food items such as cereal bars and cookies will cost $1.00 Cdn/Us and goodies such as Nissin cup noodles,cashews or chocolate bars will be $2.00 Cdn/Us. Turkey or roast beef sandwiches will cost $5.00 Cdn or $4.00 Us. The real pathetic part of the program seems to be the reality that Air Canada will be the first airline that I have heard of that plans to charge for the use of a blanket and pillow. It has been rebranded as a "comfort zone" pack that will cost $2.00. I am sure this will be a marketing blunder that won't be well received. What next? Rental plastic cutlery?
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:12 AM

I don't see what's wrong with charging for pillows and blankets. At least one gets a choice. Many airlines don't provide pillows/blankets, period, for domestic fligths.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:48 AM

i think simplification is key...for instance jet blue or southwest...delta tried to simplify everything by having people pay for meals if they chose, but in the end, it cost them too much to have the food, print the menus, etc...
a simplified fare structure, routes that make sense, convenient web site, and customer service...
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

I thought the flight attendants were on board for our safety. Using their time to sell us "stuff" takes away their time for safety measures. It took an AA flight Attendant 45 minutes to bring back my change--and she was very busy. What if she forgot an important "safety duty."

How much does it cost to put a slice of cheese or turkey on whole wheat bread? Instead they want to sell us cookies and chips. No wonder the American people are so fat they have to have a SUV in the handicapped parking zone. And when was the last time you heard our President address this issue.

More people in the United States will die from obesity than terrorism.

(Sorry, didn't mean to get political or offend anyone)
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:14 AM

I also agree that "food for sale" is not a good idea. I wonder if the airlines are actually making much money off it. And it's much faster for FA to just give everybody the same sandwich than having to deal with orders and money.

Well, domestically, at least Continental is still doing it the old-fashioned way. Free food and no "food for sale".
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I will pay for rental blanket if a cute male flight attendant tucks me in

As for a pillow... will they put a Lindt on it? Or only somebody's chocolate drooling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -