Another EU261 Question Help

Aug 26th, 2019, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Another EU261 Question Help

Original flight on United EDI-IAD-PIT.
The IAD_PIT segment was cancelled after arrival in IAD due to a mechanical issue with the plane.

We were given a voucher( only partial) for a hotel stay and two $10 refreshment vouchers.

We were automatically rebooked on a flight the next day (without a choice or consultation) that would have us arrive in Pittsburgh almost 24 hours after our original flight arrival from IAD

We notified the agent that we would find out own way home and drove the 4 hours to Pittsburgh. In fact, if it had not been almost midnight when we finally got to speak to someone we could have left earlier.

Can anyone advise if we are still eligible for compensation under EU 261 since we ditched the last leg?

Thanks

Aug 26th, 2019, 10:02 AM

It was a United flight, I assume. United is not EU, so EU261 applies only if the flight that was cancelled was from an EU airport. IAD is in the US. No cash for you.
Aug 26th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

It was the last leg of the flight that originated in Scotland.
Are you saying the rule only applies if the first leg is delayed.?
Aug 26th, 2019, 02:05 PM

Yup.
https://www.elliott.org/frequently-a...s-about-eu261/
Aug 26th, 2019, 02:12 PM

According to what I find via google you are out of luck under EU261. It must be from a EU destination to an EU one. I was delayed the opposite PHL to EDI via Heathrow and got nothing just a be lucky you got to the destination 13 hrs late.

https://www.travelmiles101.com/under...-compensation/
Aug 26th, 2019, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody View Post
Which part of the webpage are you referring to?

If the OP was on a single ticket they should be covered.
Aug 26th, 2019, 07:20 PM

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...15(01)&from=EN

4.4.7. Compensation for late arrival in the case of connecting flights

The Court (43) takes the view that a delay must be assessed for the purposes of the compensation provided for in Article 7 of the Regulation, in relation to the scheduled time of arrival at the passenger's final destination as defined in Article 2(h) of the Regulation, which in the case of directly connecting flights must be understood as the destination of the last flight taken by the passenger.

In accordance with Article 3(1)(a), passengers who missed a connection within the EU, or outside the EU with a flight coming from an airport situated in the territory of a Member State, should be entitled to compensation, if they arrived at final destination with a delay of more than three hours. Whether the carrier operating the connecting flights is an EU carrier or a non-EU carrier is not relevant.
Aug 26th, 2019, 07:55 PM

According to the OP it was the flight from IAD to PIT that got severely delayed. The flight from the EU was not delayed. The OP can try and submit a claim but it was the domestic US part that is the problem and not part of the EU. They can try and get more compensation such as vouchers but they are not entitled to anything but still worth a try.
Aug 26th, 2019, 08:22 PM

If it's one ticket the final destination is the arrival time that matters. Not the stops in between.
Aug 26th, 2019, 08:28 PM

I'm not saying it will be easy. The airline will claim the mechanical fault was extraordinary

But the OP should be covered

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Res...-a-connection/

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Res...compensation-/

Aug 27th, 2019, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

This is very helpful.
On the outbound flight to Scotland United cancelled our flight twice at the. Beginning of this trip because of weather.

They rebooked us from PIT to IAD ar 9:30 pm informing us we would have to spend the night at Dulles. Because of the time of arrival at night I booked a hotel room so we would have a place for the night. In Dulles only to much later cancel that flight. I lost the cost of that hotel room.
Then they told us we would fly out at 6am the next day to Dulles for a flight at 6pm to Scotland on Aer Lingus..
Because of the late hour I booked a room in Pittsburgh at the airport.
They told us they would retain our luggage. They lost the luggage for four days but thankfully we got it back eventually.

ome moral to this story is I always buy travel insurance not for circumstances like this but mainly for any medical condition that might arise during a trip where I might have to be returned to the US.
So all is not lost.

but thank all of you for taking your time to help.
Aug 27th, 2019, 10:46 AM

This is indeed a bit out of the norm.
Not because your last leg was domestic within the US (Traveler Nick already explained that any outbound connection from the EU is covered to the final destination), but because you ditched the last segment.
I guess you took a rental car from DC to Pittsburgh? If so, I would try to get those costs for the car and gas reimbursed.
The regular compensation of €600 in cash would only apply if you had endured that 24 hour later arrival.
Aug 28th, 2019, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Yes. I realize this is the sticking point.
If the flight offered had been direct IAD-PIT, I might have considered it. But since it was to EWR, I just was concerned that we could get stuck in Newark for another day because the weather on the East coast was not cooperating.