AMEX miles plus

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMEX miles plus

In a previous discussion on ff miles credit cards, Patty said:
Not true, both the Starwood Amex as Dave mentioned above and the regular Amex charge card with Membership Rewards enables you to transfer your points into many different ff accounts where they are combined with all of your miles earned from flights, hotel, rental car, telecom, dining, etc. There are probably a number of other cards out there where you can do the same.

This was our impression when we signed up for the Amex miles plus program. Today, I called to have them put 10,000 points from this account into my husband's Alaska Airlines account so that we would have enough miles for 2 ff tickets to Europe (I already have enough) and they have told us this can't be done!

Have any of you done this? Like Patty, I thought this was the deal!

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:47 PM

I don't think I have ever said that you can transfer Membership Rewards points into Alaska's Mileage Plan. With the Starwood Amex you can, but not through Membership Rewards which is the program for their charge cards (if this is what you're referring to, I haven't heard of a program called miles plus). There are a number of airline programs that you can transfer MR points into but unfortunately AS is not one of them.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patty, for replying. I think I (finally) understand this...wish I had before we paid the extra $75 for the miles plus, but guess we'll have to work that out with Amex and I'll just have to buy the extra miles we need from AS.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Jed

artlover - I don't understand. Did you and your husband have one American Express Rewards Plus Gold Card? Did you have separate cards, and tried to transfer from your account to his?

In any case, as Patty says, Amex Rewards is linked to the FF programs of many airlines, but Alaska Airlines is not one of them. Check out <http://www.membershiprewards.com/Cat...id=103&ahcr=1>

Also, if in fact you and your husband had different Amex card accounts, I am not sure you would be able to give him your points, even to a listed airline.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Jed,
Thanks for responding. We have 2 different cards, but the points go into one (his) account. Looks like I'm going to look into other ff programs that we can use with Amex because we use Amex at Costco, so that's a lot of points right there...
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 10:54 AM

The main US airlines in AMEX's "Membership Reward" program are Delta, Continental and USAirways, Southwest and Frontier. [Like others who've commented on this and your other thread, I've never heard of "Miles Plus". AMEX's miles program is called "Membership Reward" - some cards are Membership Rewards Plus earn more miles (but with higher fees). But "Miles Plus" is not the name of any AMEX program.]

Anyways, if you live in Alaska or just like to fly Alaska Air, you should concentrate your miles into Continental's Onepass program (despite its own flaws), as you can earn and redeem Onepass miles on all Alaska Air flights, and you can transfer AMEX Member Reward points to CO's miles.

So, for the long term, Continental's Onepass is the program you should be using.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for information. Actually, I have no preference as far as airlines--just that we live in Seattle and AS flies here, but I do have a dislike for Heathrow, which is why we're going to fly KLM to Amsterdam this time.

Since KLM is partners with Northwest and NW has a special promotion going on now, I'm thinking of switching to them since they are partners with KLM and using their card for most purchases. Anyone know anything about the NW program--pros and cons.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Per se, there's really no "cons" with NW's Worldperks program. Once NW and CO join the "Skyteam" alliance in September, reportedly, you can claim miles with Air France, Alitalia, etc, in addition to the current partners.

And unlike CO and DL, Northwest do not have those stupid 50% EQM (elite qualifying miles) rules, at least when you're not flying CO.

HOWEVER!!! NW's Worldperks is not a partner with American Express, so you cannot transfer Membership Reward points to Worldperks. That's why I recommend you concentrate your points with CO's Onepass if you want to keep earning points/miles with AS/NW/CO/KL/DL/etc, and have the ability to transfer AMEX points to your primary FF program.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, I plan to look into this.