American Airlines, Platinum elite status.

Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

American Airlines, Platinum elite status.

I recently qualified for Platinum elite status with American Airline's Aadvantage program. I am told that I am and I am not allowed in lounges at the airport, which is corrected? Am I only allowed in lounges when I fly with American? Thanks for any help. PS. I would appreciate any tips on how I can make the most of my elite status with American.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 12:26 PM

Hi retiredinflorida,

Congratulations on reaching Platinum Elite Status.

I think if flying domestically ( apart from First CLass transcontinental flights ( ie NYC-LAX/SFO) you would neeed to purchase a Club membership for lounge access.

If however, you are flying overseas ie London etc then you can use the lounges ( or any of the Oneworld alliance partner lounges ( ie BA) free.

There is a wealth of information of the American Airline forum of flyertalk whose link is posted below;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forumcgi/fo...e=5&LastLogin=

Regards

TBS
l
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:35 PM

As a Platinum you'll be able to use some of the other One World lounges on days that you are flying with them, but not the AA Admirals' club. Not sure how all the OW PArtners work, but as an example, when you check in with Cathay they give you a pass for their club at the check in counter.

If you don't want to spring for the Admiral's Club membership I believe you can purchase a Day pass for the AA Admirals' club on a day you are travelling with AA. You'll have to call AA for details, but if I'm remembering correctly its $50 per day but it only gives you access to one airport Admiral's club (vs Clubs at all the airports you'll be at that day if you have layovers).
Feb 25th, 2004, 02:07 PM

As a lifetime platinum in the AA program (just get 2,000,000 miles and you too can have lifetime status), I am very familiar with the rules regarding the Admirals Club. If you are travelling on an international ticket (purchased or award ticket), you can use the Admirals Club on your days of travel. International is defined as Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa (I know AA does not fly there) but excludes Canada, the Carribean, and Mexico with one exception - Mexico City. You may take one guest and you get complimentary drink coupons for that day only.

You can also purchase a membership in the Admirals Club at a discounted rate with either money or miles.

Feb 26th, 2004, 03:10 AM

I am just a regular Aadvantage member (not sure what level) flying international to Europe from Los Angeles in May. Can I get into the Admirals club, or do I need a higher status membership?
Feb 26th, 2004, 06:12 AM

If you are Executive Platinum or Platinum, then you have complimentary access to the Admirals Club. If you are flying in first or business class on an international flight (AA's definition of international), then you have complimentary access to the Admiral's Club. If you are AAdvantage Gold or just AAdvantage, then you do not have access unless you are an Admiral's Club member. You can purchase a one day pass at some Admiral's Clubs; the cost is about $50 per day.
Feb 26th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Sunnyboy

TO Cole: The short answer is No, unless you are flying First Class. By the way, you can call AA or go to www.AA.com to find out what level you are but usually AA notifies it's customers when they achieve elite status by sending them the appropriate Gold or Platinum cards and membership booklets.

Feb 26th, 2004, 10:09 AM

retiredinflorida, most definitely go to the AA forum on flyertalk - there you will get TONS of useful info on how to make the most of your status and how to play the system.

It's www.flyertalk.com, then Miles, and then you'll see AAdvantage.