airline responsibility when cancelling a flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Sunday we had a change over in Chicago.

When we get to Chicago they said our flight was cancelled & the next one wouldnt be unitl monday.

We goto the gate & they said it was cancelled due to weather. Since it was a weather problem they would not put us up or anything.

I called the airport where we were landing & they said it was fine there & all planes were landing on time. All the other planes were obviously leaving Chicago.

How do I call BS on this & make them reimburse me for the hotel?
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:42 AM

The weather problem could have been at whatever airport your second plane was coming from--having nothing to do with the weather in either Chicago or your destination.

It is my understanding that the airlines have no responsiblity when the delay is due to weather. Sorry.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:22 PM

abram is correct. The airline does not have to put you on another flight, but sometimes if you call they will put you on a flight that departs sooner (if seats are available).

They will not reimburse you for your hotel room.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM

On Sunday there was terrible weather on much of the lower mid-West and mid-Atlantic states - the kind that messes up flights - that is, lots of wind (and rain). So as the 2 posters above stated, the weather did not have to be in or near Chicago to be responsible for your flight cancellation.

It is certainly annoying and disruptive, though.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 06:52 PM

You really do have to plan for these things, and even then...

Coming home from Las Vegas last year, our connecting flight was cancelled due to weather (after the first flight was delayed by several hours due to weather on the East Coast). I had purchased cheap travel insurance that covered us for a hotel room, but none were available due to all the cancelled flights ahead of ours.

We ended up renting a car and driving the rest of the way home (covered in full by the travel insurance). On the way home we learned we had been rescheduled to a flight on Tuesday (from Saturday!).

During winter (and even other seasons), if any of the airports experience a lot of weather delays and cancellations, it's best to have a contingency plan.