Airfare predictions anyone?

Apr 16th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Vicki

Airfare predictions anyone?

I'm hearing rumors that due to slowing economy, pleasure travel might suffer with many cancelling their plans. Need to book airfare from NW to Florida for Feb trip and wonder if we should wait and hope for lower airfares (currently about 550 pp RT).
Any input?

May 3rd, 2001, 07:01 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Vicki, I can almost guarantee you that you will be able to do better on that fare. I've found November to be the very best month to get great fares for the season you will be traveling. My advice is that you sit tight and wait it out for a better deal. You will easily save $150 per person, I would think. You may even do better.

May 27th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Vicki

Heard on last night's national news that bargains will be plentiful due to number of business travelers cutting back on their plans. Now I'm wondering how long that trend will continue and if it will help us for Feb 02 trip.

May 28th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Jim Rosenberg

It may or it may not, but regardless of the situatoin on business travel and the economy, you are still not "in season" to get the best airfare for February 2002. Trust me on this one and sit tight. You probably won't want to book until after Labor Day at least, unless a drop-dead deal falls into your lap between now and then. Have you set up a Travelocity Fare Watcher on this? Do that, if you haven't.

May 28th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Vicki

Hey Jim, thanks for your info. Yes, I did set up a Travelocity farewatcher on Florida fares. We have AA vouchers for $200 pp that I was hoping to use towards the flight, but they need to be booked before Sept. 3, I believe. If not, I could wait and see if we can find something reasonable and simply purchase it. I did see a $250 RT SEA-MIA a few weeks ago that I missed out on while we waited to firm up plans to travel to the area. My TA tells me it will return however. We could pretty much travel anywhere in southern/central Florida which would work with our plans.

May 28th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Flexibility among destinations bodes well for you, but the $200/per person vouchers add an interesting twist to the whole thing. That sets an entirely different benchmark, because we're really talking about a net fare of around $350, rather than $550/pp. If you book after they lapse, you'll need to be able to carve $200 off each ticket just to break even, if I'm understanding the situation correctly. I'm not saying that can't be done, but I'm not sure if I would roll the dice on it, either. If it gets to be early September and you have to decide whether to take your voucher value or let them expire and hold out for a lower fare, my advice would be to pull the trigger and book for a net $350/pp price. There isn't a ton of downside risk after that point, IMHO.

Jun 3rd, 2001, 05:21 PM
John H

Without kknowing where you will be flying from, I agree with Jim's comments. I have flown from Oakland, CA to Florida 4 times this year (Feb-May) and paid under $250 twice (Feb, May), $372 once (April), and $484 once (March, spring break time). So, I'd wait as well. Also, you can be creative with airports -- e.g., if going into Orland, check if flying to Tampa one or both ways (1.5 hours away by car) might drop your airfare.

john

john