Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Air Emirates - is it as bad as it seems?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are soon to leave on another long haul trip to Paris from Australia , and we are flying Air Emirates for the first time, with a short transfer in Dubai .

I was looking forward to flying Emirates - we usually fly QA or BA, and took this flight on the advice of our trusted travel agent.

As it is economy class and we are both VERY tall people I hoped it would be a bearable, even enjoyable long haul.

Since booking, I have read so many negative accounts about Emirates and even my travel agent has had some less than enthusiastic reports recently.

Has anyone flown MEL - PARIS (or similar) recently and what can you advise to make the most of the trip? Is Dubai airport really so bad? With such a short stopover we may need to do some pre planning, as I have a medical condition which makes running for airport gates difficult!

PS We are seasoned travellers, but both have been unwell lately and need to be reassured if possible that it won't be too much of an endurance test!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:32 PM

I am surprised that you're getting those comments. Most reports I've read is that Emirates' really trying hard to become the next Singapore Airlines in terms of service and amenities.

Anyways, at least with the current schedule, the early MEL-DXB is on the 340-500, while the latter one is a 777. Both DXB-CDG flights are 777.

Now, EK's 777 do have a problem. Instead of the usual 9-abreast seating for most airlines' longhaul fleet, EK uses 10-abreast seating, resulting in very narrow seats. But they do have generous legroom, with 33-34" pitch. So, for tall and skinny people, they may not be too bad. But if you have a choice, at least get the Airbus 340-500 flight for the MEL-DXB leg.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 03:47 AM

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/emrts.htm

Still a 4* airline - though I have heard about the odd problem on their Africa routes

OP, care to show us all these "negative accounts about Emirates"
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 04:33 AM

Not sure how anyone could say Dubai Airport is 'bad', it has superb facilities.

The only thing with Emirates is if you are flying Economy/coash on a 777 as they put in 10 seats across instead of the normal 9 across, so the seats are very narrow.

However if you are on A 340 then same seats across as others, great in flight personal TVs and quite good service.

You should check out Gulf Air from melbourne as they are very good in my opinion, other good options are the usual Singapore Airlines great service and Malaysia Airlines.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 05:19 AM

<<Not sure how anyone could say Dubai Airport is 'bad', it has superb facilities.>>

On a couple of occasions in Dubai, I have had to take the bus to and from the plane and therefore this may be a problem for some people as it gets quite hot and stuffy on the bus.

I agree, the facilities in the airport are very good, I think Emirates are a very good airline and Dubai is great for a stopover.

Geordie
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 07:42 AM

Dubai Airport transit facilities:

http://www.dubaiairport.com/DIA/Engl...Guide/Transit/

Although as we have said the seating on the 777 is tight across I would still however choose them over BA or QF 'anyday'.

But I would compare the fares with the Singapore Airlines fare!
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 04:59 PM

Hi Libretto, the wife and I are to fly to Italy with Emirates (with a brief stop in Dubai) in about two weeks. Fortunately we are travelling business class ( we are both very tall as well). I believe we have about an hour and threequarters in Dubai. The reports we have received about emirates have all been good. We will be flying back from Paris in October. We may have to compare notes on return.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, every one , for your comments.

I have had reports re Dubai from a number of different sources - including 3 friends and have read some other web sites.

My friend's comments related to a chaotic transfer, no seating whilst waiting, a long bus ride from the gate and some very poor customer service.

As they were three different friends flying at different times I was a bit alarmed.

They all also reported long waits for beverages, even for water, on board.

My travel agent had additionally received a complaint about the service on the ground at Dubai airport.

Maybe I was just unlucky to hear these comments all at once!

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not prone to complaint and understand the vagaries of travel, having flown many times.

However, given my temporary health issues I was cautious about all the negatives, having always believed Emirates was very good, even for cattle class.

So, I trust my long body won't be too cramped!

I appreciate all your help, and I'm excitedly looking forward to my favourite city in the world- Paris!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:14 PM

I have flown with Emirates twice now from Brisbane to London, and on each occasion their service was superb. The food/beer/wine was superior to what I have had on other airlines. I like the fact that they have cabin crew from numerous countries around the world, and its nice to hear the voice of an Australian captain. (Probably all ex-Ansett pilots all living & working in Dubai)
As for Dubai airport, I believe they are building an "underground terminal".
Libretto if you get a chance, do a stopover in Dubai, its an interesting & safe city. Taking the little wooden dahl boats across the creek, is quite an experience, especially if you like organised chaos.
I never listen to most people's comments on airlines, I prefer to judge the airline myself.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM

This is now an old posting but my answer to the questions is - YES.
I won't be flying with them again, longhaul anyway. Last sunday I arrived home after enduring the most hideous flight from Dubai to Melbourne in a cramped narrow seat with no leg room, none of us could straighten our legs and I ended up trying to relieve the pain by standing and going to the rear of the plane. It was the worst flight I've experienced for many a day and no way will I go thru Dubai again, it was crowded, the departure board was way behind the schedule and we had to ask for our departure gate at the info desk. The security check in was a fiasco with rude and indifferent attitudes from the staff. Emirates is not as good as people think and they are so greedy, they want all the routes now, hence the airport in Dubai is stretched to the limit. They are working on the terminal and we had to be bussed back and forth to the plane. You can keep Emirates.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:59 AM

OK, 12 months + ago and travelling business class I have to say that we will fly with Emirates again, good inflight service, not the very best business class seats, great business class lounge in Dubai..clean showers plenty of towels! Limo pick up in Paris was very nice !!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:03 AM

I fly Emirates 10-12 times a year. What I have noticed is that they are unable to keep up with demand for crew, so you may face some inexperienced crew. The airport in Dubai is crowded, and if you are used to Australian/European airports, it may seem a bit unreal. In flight on the Australia route, they use modern aircraft, good food, and good IFE. Ask for ground assistance in Dubai, and they will whisk you on electric buggy's around, so you won't have to run.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 07:51 PM

Marko, some of us do not have the funds to fly business class so I'm pleased your experience with them is satisfactory. You are comparing chalk with cheese when it comes to the two classes and the economy class with them is not as good as other airlines. And Dubai is not a go for me anymore, both ways it was a fiasco in every way, it only added to the overall discomfort once we got on the aircraft - finally. Every flight between Auckland and Paris that I took was late leaving, as much as one hour.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM

Ditto ..... Dubai airport is a zoo and the airline has been expanding too rapidly with additional routes etcetc., service up and down. Friendly staff, though ...... they have a very good Skywards program. Using them to fly to Zurich next week for work.

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

So it's been over a year since our fantastic trip which began with a not so fantastic journey with Emirates.I noticed there had been some more recent posts so thought I would report on my experience.
We flew economy - no way we could afford business, which would be an very different scenario I suspect.

I'd have to agree with kathyNZ it was a very, very cramped trip. It must be that even a very little additional space makes all the diference to my almost 6 feet frame - pity my poor husband at well over 6 feet - as I certainly felt the most cramped I have ever felt on my many long haul flights.

The food was surprisingly good on Emirates, but the service was appalling. We also experienced the long wait for water that our friends reported, and additionally observed some pretty unimpressive and patronising behaviour from the cabin staff. In fact a person seated two rows ahead made a formal complaint about some of the staff, and I believe others were also intending to complain.......

Dubai airport was not quite as bad as my favourite hell hole - CdeG - but it came close. No seats, stuffy and smelly , people sleeping on the floors and even at the top of the elevators. A long very hot ride in a bus to reach our gate, officious and inefficient immigration.

My favourite airport is still Changi where they seem to be able to deal with large numbers of people efficiently and pleasantly, so the trip booked for next September we are flying Singapore for the first time!

All in all I would not fly Emirates for a long haul again, even if it's just to avoid Dubai airport.

Emirates in-flight conditions were not 4* or even 3*, and I know they have been downgraded recently, perhaps this reflects their too rapid expansion,and the consequent staff difficulties.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:33 AM

libretto - thanks for the update. Most of us always appreciate feedback and comments after trips. I was reading this with interest because Emirates just started flying from Houston (IAH) nonstop to Dubai this month using the 777 - guess we'll see how it works out.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:46 PM

I'm glad Libretto jumped in to comment and bring this thread up to date. Apart from Lufthansa where we seemed to be in a sardine can, this was the tightest fit I've had on any long haul flight. But another concern of mine was, it's all very well to say at the start of the flight how many languages the crew can speak but in an emergency which one do they choose to go with, can they in fact communicate well enough with each other. I'd rather go with an airline that uses it's own citizens, eg Air Tahiti Nui, Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines are ahead of Emirates in my opinion.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM

Kathy, Emirates may have the same restrictions for flight attendants that some other Arab airlines have. Royal Jordanian, for instance: the femal crew are all European or other non-muslims. The culture does not allow women to "wait on" men in public or some version of that scenario. My experiences on RJ the women crew were Irish and English (and were excellent) and the male crew apparently Jordanian (possibly ex-military or active military) and also excellent.

By contrast, a recent flight I made on the highly rated Midwest Airlines in the US featured announcements by a flight attendant whose accent (Indian or Pakistani, I think) left me mystified - and I'm a New Yorker who is used to hearing internationl accents every day. I really did wonder what she could communicate in an emergency. Then again, when I fly Air France or KLM etc, I might have to wait until instructions came in French or Dutch before I got mine!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 08:21 PM

Just got back from a business trip to Zurich. I think one of the main problems is too much expansion in a short period of time for Emirates.

I find a huge disparity in the cabin crew from flight to flight. Some are not trained properly or don't have sufficient experience. My flight from Dubai to Zurich had pathetic service .... but, the return was fantastic!!! With Emirates, it appears like you need to be lucky.

Don't know why they are running the A340-500 on a short flight to Zurich and have people cramped in the 777 on the JFK direct flight???? They used to have the A340-500's before for that route ......

Dubai airport just seems to be a nightmare at the moment. However, things could get better as Emirates are building a seperate terminal for themselves and should take care of some of the problems. Right now, there is hardly much walking space as the floor space has people sleeping all over. Honestly, it is a pathetic sight!!!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Tomas....and Hari
Interesting comments all round and of course I didn't think of the ethnic origin and lack of female staff, silly me, should have thought of that first.
I read somewhere that Emirates have 81 new planes on order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -