about Air Asia & their extremely cheap fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM
aby
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about Air Asia & their extremely cheap fares

Hi

Air Asia has some very cheap international flights out of Bangkok. anyone has experience with them?
is it real? or maybe they cut out the engine & glide at 30,000 ft because the fare seems not to be sufficient for fuel

aby
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM

LOL, Aby. I've wondered the same thing. Maybe they carry cargo to supplement the cheap fares!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
No personal experience with Air Asia -I'd planned to try them out when they introduced flights in my area, but they discontinued the service before I had a chance.

Just a note about those cheap fares - they're often quoted prior to taxes, fuel surcharges, etc, so read the fine print.

A few folks I know flew them on short flights and said they were fine - new planes, etc.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 08:40 AM

And how is this different than RyanAir in Europe?

They often have 1 pence sales and fly all over Europe.

(btw, it's true about the taxes, fuel surcharges, luggage limits, etc, etc. so be careful)

The LCC airline(s) make their money on all the additional charges and a very efficient quick turnaraound, no perks, out of the way airports, cheap labor, etc.

Do you want to shop at K-Mart or Saks Fifth Ave?

You can buy clothes in either one but the quality won't be the same. Same with these LCC airlines. Safe? - yes, expect anything above the basic transportation? no.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 12:09 PM
aby
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Air asia are fine, 15kg baggage allowance, any delays tend to build up during the day.
Domestic budget airlines from Bangkok are also One-2-Go ( full baggage allowance etc ) and Nok Air ( owned by Thai - has Nok Plus upfron 2 x 2 on their 737's, the old Thai Airways Business Class seats for something like USD 13 extra per sector ) but for international Air Asia and also if heading to Singapore Tiger Airways /Jetstar.
Plenty more on the Asia Forum about Air Asia.
As someone pointed out the fares do not includes taxes etc which can make a big difference, but overall cheap. Service etc quite good and friendly on all the regional low cost/budget operators, Tiger Airways particularly good.
Their cost base is low.