AA to TLV with AA mileage

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From NYC what might be the best possible success to a Frequent Flier Mileage ticket to TLV with Amehaving rican Airlines points. I don't mind (1) one stopover.

Is there a difference between asking for an One World Award or just a One World ticket ?
Dan
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM

AA to London and BA to TLV. MA to Budapest and TLV. I'm not sure if it's possible to do a JFK-MAD-TLV. Not sure if either AA or IB cover these routes. It may be possible but one of your requests is to have only 1 connection, so I'm not really sure if that route would work.

If you're talking about economy than a regular AAdvantage All Partner award is cheaper 75k vs 90k for OW

Business and first would be cheaper with OW.

Business 115k OW vs 135k All Partner
First 150k OW vs 180k All Partner

With OW award you can even do stopovers in London and Budapest,

JFK-LHR(AA)-TLV(BA)-BUD-JFK(MA)
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You'll need to phone the Aadvantage awards desk as this trip can't be booked online.

There are two mileage redemption choices - an "all partners" award that lets you use any combination of American and its partners, including El Al (which would offer the only nonstop service.) From the US to the Middle East on a partner award, the "price" would be 75,000 miles in coach, 135,000 miles in business class, or 180,000 miles in first class. AA partners that serve TLV include British Airways, Malev, Iberia, and Royal Jordanian, so using them would require a stop somewhere in Europe or in Amman.

The second choice is a "Oneworld" award which limits you to members of the Oneworld Alliance, of which El Al is not a member. With this award, you're required to use 2 Oneworld airlines in addition to AA if AA is used at all (i.e. 2 without AA, 3 with.) The cost in miles is based on the total distance flown between stopovers (meaning 24 hrs or more) and JFK-TLV-JFK is around 11,500 miles, which equates to a "cost" of 90,000 miles in coach, 115,000 in business, or 150,000 in first, so cheaper for business and first, more expensive for coach.

Until September this year, the miles between connection points don't go into the total, so for example your route could be JFK - Madrid - TLV on Iberia, then TLV - Budapest on Malev, Budapest - London on BA, and London - JFK on American. You'd physically fly much farther than the straight round-trip distance, but only the direct distance would be used in determining the award requirement. After September this rule changes to include the mileage for all flown segments, so the "price" for most tickets will go up.

AA can help set up the award itinerary that works best for you.
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Ah, AAFF beat me to it again.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:28 AM

BA: twice daily flight between LHR and TLV. From LHR, am departure/mid-afternoon arrival and an a redeye arriving early morning. From TLV, an early morning departure/arrival before noon, and afternoon departure/evening arrival. One consideration is JFK-LHR uses Terminal 5 and LHR-TLV is still on Terminal 4 (no T5 move plan that I'm aware of). Pretty consistent, good service overall.

IB: daily flights between MAD-TLV and BCN-TLV. I believe some are LY/IB code-share. I must say I'm rather ambivalent about LY (I fly Y)--equipment is not the latest (ie no individual screen) but the service is not that bad, esp if they give you as many hot pita as you want for breakfast... ;-)
(I also don't have to worry about their missing special kosher meal request.)

MA: daily red-eye from BUD to TLV, am departure flights 3times/wk. Coming back, early morning departure, pm departure flights 3times/wk.

Of all three, BUD-TLV is the shortest connecting flight.

Another thing you may want to take into consideration is, most AA transatlantic flights are red-eye, arriving in Europe early morning. On the way back,
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:26 AM

The OP would need to fly AA across the pond so it's term 3 arrival in LHR. Can't use AA miles on BA US-UK.

AA has about 5-6 JFK-LHR flights a day, both ways.

Outbound - 1 day flight arriving LHR in the evening and the rest redeyes arriving the following morning/early afternoon.

Inbound - all day departures, starting in the morning, with the last one in the evening.

No problem connecting with BA to TLV, subject to award availibility.

Budapest connection would have to be on MA all the way as AA does not fly to BUD and the OP wants just 1 connection. MA JFK-BUD-TLV

Madrid connection is possible on Iberia all the way. 2 redeyes on Iberia JFK-MAD and connect MAD-TLV. AA does not fly JFK-MAD.