Impact of AA plans to invest American Eagle

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Impact of AA plans to invest American Eagle

In late November 2007, AA announced plans to divest American Eagle, leaving options open about an outright sale or spinoff or whatever. I have not seen much discussion about this anywhere (travel message boards, news sources) since the announcement, but I did read some rumors that AE would remain a partner of AA.

I was planning to book travel using my AA miles to go to the Caribbean, and am considering December 2008 or April 2009 (I know I can't book for April 2009 yet). The flights would be a combination of AA and American Eagle, at an award level of 30K miles.

My questions are:

1) Would you book travel (either paying for the flights and/or using a mileage award) for late 2008 or spring 2009 (in a few months)that used American Eagle given AA's plans to divest AE?

2)If AE remains a partner of AA but is no longer part of AA, am I correct in expecting that the mileage requirements for a trip from the continental US to SJU and a connection to the Caribbean on AE would increase?

3)If yes to 2, any idea of what the new mileage requirements would be given people's experiences with other airline partner relationships in the Caribbean?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM

1. yes

2. no
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM

You're worrying about nothing.

Look at Continental. It spun off ExpressJet several years ago. Even today, most of Continental Express flights are still operated by ExpressJet, even if their relationships have turned very sour and XJET launching its own branded service as well as flying DL Connection.

Matter of fact is that the majority or Eagle's business will remain being a feeder for AA for many years to come.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Another fact is that you have AA miles. AA will get you to your destination, whether it's on Eagle or themselves or another partner.

AA is not going to abandon its destinations that easily.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your reassurance that it will be business as usual with AA/AE.

I have been reading a lot of the destination-specific forums, and there is pretty widespread distrust of AA/AE because of their tendency to cancel flights and change schedules, so combined with the AA business decision to divest AE, I became concerned about the situation. Since AA has a near monopoly at some of the smaller Caribbean airports, it would seem like these routes would be valuable to them.