Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

AA Tickets Weirdness: Booking Tickets Separately Can Save $

Old May 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually it's not just specific to AA. Have you noticed this?

If you book one ticket, you can get a cheaper fare than if you book two tickets together? I mean, if you book two together, AA quotes you a higher rate per person than if you just book one ticket.

I noticed this behavior on Orbitz as well, as I recall.

I booked my tickets on Delta, but I noticed that AA is slightly cheaper for one ticket. However I can't book all three at the lower price.

I tried holding two tickets on two separate reservations. Initially they both show the lower fare, but after I hold one of them, when I try to hold the other one, I'm told that the lower fare is no longer available.

Also AA doesn't have a 24h cancelation policy (like Delta does). Does this sound right?
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Yes, I had forgotten about this but many times my husband and I have to log in separately, but simultaneously, in order to get the lower fare. When we say that we want 2 tickets we get a higher fare than when the request is for 1 ticket.

My husband's theory is that only a certain number of tickets may be available at the lower fare basis.
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

I can understand that. But it looks like they have become smarter. Once I hold one ticket, when I go back to the other window, the low fare is gone in that one.

Do you know when you last successfully did this?

I called AA to cancel the reservation I held. When I did that, Kayak immediately showed the lower fare for 1 again.

I guess that's what computers are for....
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM
yk

It probably just so happens that they only have 1 ticket left at the lower fare bucket. That's why when you need 2 tickets, it's more expensive cuz those have to come out from a different bucket.

When you book online via aa.com, once you buy it, the status of that ticket becomes &quot;purchase&quot; (or some term similar to that). It usually takes 15mins or even a few hours before it becomes &quot;ticketed.&quot; I <i>believe</i> (not 100% sure) if you call AA during that window, you can cancel your ticket w/o any penalty. But once it is ticketed then you're subject to the cancellation rules.
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking of rebooking my tickets on Delta to extend the 24h window, but I probably shouldn't play this kind of game.

Actually in this case, I just held the ticket, and the inventory was gone.

Anyway, at the lower fare, AA is about $75 cheaper for the three tickets combined. And I get extra miles. So it's extra savings. Otherwise, AA is about $300-$400 more expensive plus I need to separate the bookings.

But I think Air France is operating that Delta flight to Paris. Maybe Air France is better than AA? At one point I swore off Air France, but I guess cheap always rules.
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM

HI--once or twice we had to pay more for one of the tkts but then would, at least, get one of them for the cheaper price.
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:57 PM

PS--if it is like when we went to Paris on &quot;Delta&quot;, it was, in fact Air France with separate AF and Delta Flt #s.