AA or DL business class?

Search

AA or DL business class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA or DL business class?

I am flying from JFK to FCO roundtrip and want to use my business class miles for the flights. Seats are available on both American and Delta however, Delta will cost me more miles.

I am looking for more information on which airline's business class is preferred. I have an idea about Delta, but can't find much information about American Airlines.

The flight info is:

DL200 and DL149 on a 767.
AA236 and AA235 on a 763.

Any info would be appreciated!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
AA has recently replaced all its business class seats on 763s with "next generation" seats that go (sloped) flat, and offer an advanced in-flight entertainment system.

One thing I would mention (don't know when you're flying) is that JFK-FCO-JFK comes to around 8500 flying miles. With AA you could book a "Oneworld award" for 80,000 miles instead of the 90,000 required for an "all partners" or aa-only award.

For Oneworld award itineraries between 8000 and 9000 miles, the "cost" is 80,000 for business class; 9000 - 10,000 requires 90,000 miles, same as the other award types. Until the rules change in September (i.e. tickets obtained after Sept. 1) only the miles between stopovers are counted, not connection points, so JFK-FCO-JFK would be used as the qualifying miles, not any connection points.

A Oneworld award requires the use of two Oneworld member airlines in addition to AA, which could be, for example, Iberia from JFK to Rome via Madrid, British Airways from Rome to London, and AA from London back to JFK, or the reverse. Even stopping over in Madrid and/or London wouldn't add to the 80,000 mile requirement - the total would come to something like 8,800 "counted" miles, up from 8,500 or so for the straight FCO shot.

Just a thought - AA has new J seats <i>and</i> you might save miles at the same time.

You would need to ask AA to help you with a Oneworld award - can't be done online.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
DRJ

Probably not very helpful, but I fly DL biz ATL-FCO usually a couple of times a year.

Pretty good food, drinks and the famously attentive DL FAs. Seats do not recline to flat, but are ok and the flicks are unpredictable.

Sorry, no current experience with AA.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

TIA! Are you sure that these new seats are available on the JFK-FCO route? The flight is for 7/3 or 7/4.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM

The AA flight should be on an upgraded plane. From the AA website:

<i>The new cabin design, seats and entertainment upgrades are now complete on the 767-300's</i>

While I don't have experience with the new AA seats, I would probably give them a try. Delta has its strong points, including generally good staff, above-average food, and a good drink selection. I also really like the pillows and duvets they have, and the IFE was decent on my last flight. However, the seat is just average.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
yk

Just FYI - You'll have to pay a $50 Award Fee (redeemed between 7-20 days prior to departure) plus a $5 Award Processing Fee when you claim the FF ticket on AA. Not sure what the fee rules are if you do a OneWorld award.