747 - Upper Deck or Lower Deck?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our trip to China in the fall we have business class seats with Delta frequent flier miles. On the Shanghai - Detroit return we have choice of seats on that 747-400 to be the upper deck or the lower deck. Seatguru doesn't describe any distinction and most seats are rated just ordinary for that class.

In trying to decide, what should be the factors? I might think the upper deck is a little more quiet. But we will have ordinary carry on luggage that we would have to take up those steps which might be cumbersome although we are plenty fit enough to do it. If it makes a difference we are a couple traveling together. But don't really care if we are exactly side by side or not.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 08:53 AM

I like the upper deck. Less little kids. Better sleeping. The only negative was the pilots use the toilets a lot.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 08:55 AM

Upper deck for sure. I always fly United and choose upper deck for the peace and quiet, and it feels less crowded. Love the extra storage space between the window seat and the window! I don't know if Delta is designed the same way? Less getting up and down to access the overhead. BTW, overheads are not very big upstairs, and a lot of standard sized carry on bags need to be stowed in a large "closet" at the top of the stairs and not in overhead space. Best to grab what you need before leaving a large carry on bag in the closet.

Hope this helps. A good web site to check is flyertalk. You can hone in on Delta, and their 747 seating specifically, with lots of discussion by very frequent flyers.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 12:33 PM

The upper deck is quieter, but the issue sis storing carryons. The storage between the window seat and the side of the plane is quite narrow, and the overhead bins are small. This often means you have to leave your carryon with the FAs. Depending on how much you need from you carry-on during the flight, this can be not a problem or it can be a pain.
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 05:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Upper deck for sure. I'm short so I never (<i>ever</i access my carry on in the overhead (I can't reach the latch when they are shut). I always place anything I might need during the flight in my personal item. Just second nature by now. My 'carry on' serves as my <i>suitcase</i> and my handbag/'personal item' serves as my <i>carry on</i>
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 09:00 PM

We always choose the upperdeck. There are far fewer travelers up there and it is quiet and comfortable. I have always put the items i know I need during the flight in the storage area next to the seat and we let them store the other carryon luggage in the area at the back. One time my husband realized he needed something in the back and the flight attendant was great about helping him get it out.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 09:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't like the upper deck because my carry on had to be put way in the rear for a 12 hour flight. I wanted things that were in it. Plus getting bags up those stairs can be difficult. Last time I was in upper deck iit was noisey, luck of the draw.