Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

747 Business Class -- Upstairs or Downstairs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traded in all my ff miles for two business class seats on Cathay to Bangkok later this month. My question is, should I request seats on the main level of the plane (a 747-400) or the upper level? Is there any appreciable difference in quality/quantity of space and environs? I'm most interested in legroom and quiet. Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Jed

We flew business with Northwest to China. We felt that upstairs was better because there was a space next to the window for your extras. I also thought that the upstairs looked better. There was plenty of legroom.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:02 AM

Thumbs up to the UpperDeck...Usually however,the bulkhead seats are not the most desireable, as in many other cases.Mid cabin should be fine.I have found it to be much more private,better more individualized service.Far less traffic than main deck.I personally think Cathay is right up there on top of the list of great airlines.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:08 PM

zpenci - I personally prefer the upper deck since its generally more quiet. It also has a more "private" feel to it, and legroom should be approximately the same. I don't know about the configuration on CX, but you may want to do the following to determine exactly which seat would be best for you:

1) Go the CX website and take a look at their seating chart, I presume they have one;
2) Log onto www.seatguru.com, and follow the links for United Airlines, which will give you a very detailed idea of what to expect in which seat on the 744.
3) Translate as best you can from CX to seatguru and choose away!!

I personally prefer seats 15 A,B,G, or H as they are upper deck exit rows on the UA 744's, and have approximately 10-15 FEET between you and the seatback of the person in front of you..!!

Best wishes for a great trip! Dave
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:40 AM
DMG

I posted a similar question last winter though I was flying on United. Most people favored the upper deck. I followed their advise and loved it. Much quieter since you are further from the engines. The service on Cathay Pacific is great wherever you are in business class. The and business class lounge in Hong Kong is wonderful.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help! I was unable to secure seats upstairs for our flight over, but got them for the trip back. Also, I found a site (www.seatexpert.com) which had great information on Cathay Pacific (and also British Airways) seating plans. Thanks again!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 01:18 PM
DMG

I flew Cathay Pacific business class from SFO to Hong Kong on a 747 and that was before they installed the new seats. Even then, it was wonderful, probably the best flight I have ever had. Enjoy your cappacino or latte during the flight.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 03:04 PM

Another vote for upstairs. Much quieter and nicer.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 11:25 PM

ditto for the upper deck. other than having a private small club feeling, only people from the upper deck will be able to use the washrooms (much cleaner after more than 7 hours). Unlike business class washrooms in the main deck where people from economy sneaks to use it.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 08:04 PM
budg

Ditto to upperdeck. We flew in Biz class upperdeck before the new seats were put in, and it was VERY roomy and extra space on the window for carry-ons, etc. We did request bulkhead, and they gave us the row behind it, bec/ bulkhead is reserved for crew. They do not use it, so it turned out great. Service is Awesome and there are two bathrooms just for upper deck and they were cleaned after each passengers use. We were traveling with someone else on the return and they suggested we switch to the lower deck and sit with them, and that was a mistake. Noisy and crowded.

Stick to the upper deck! Have fun.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:56 PM

Should you ever get this opportunity again, try for the seats upstairs in the middle. It may be considered a jump seat, but it's just behind a break in the cabin. Flight attendants seat on the backs of seats immediately in front (facing the rear) for takeoffs and landing, and otherwise, it's the most fantastic seating we've ever experienced. We had them both ways LAX to Sydney and full laid out it's like sleeping at home. I'd guess it's about row 6 or 7. Superb!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:54 AM
MD

The only other comment I've heard (never sat in 747 first class) is that the noseward passengers actually have a forward-looking view. Sounds somewhat neat...