747: Business class

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:59 AM
David

747: Business class

On United, business class flyers get their choice of sitting on the lower or upper level of the 747. I have only sat downstairs but some people prefer to be upstairs. Any thoughts about the pros and cons of either?

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:10 AM
JP

http://www.seatguru.com/united/B744.shtml

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 08:45 AM
J Correa

Given a choice, I would sit upstairs. It's quieter and there are fewer people. There is the main aisle with only 2 seats on each side. I find it much cozier for sleeping.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Gregory

Hi,

On Virgin Atlantic's 747-400 to/from LHR they have Upper Class ( business) on both the main deck and part of the Upper Deck (2-2) on the Upper Deck. The UD tends to be quieter and has side storage lockers by the window seats so you do not have to put everything under the seat in front of you.
The main deck on Virgin has the beauty therapist and the bar.
I do not mind any Upper Class seat but might go daylight flights on the main deck and overnight flights on the Upper deck ( There are only around 12 UC seats on the UD compared to around 30 on the main deck)

Regards
Gregory

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:45 PM
starspinners

I've sat in the upper level of United ( from Chicago to Honolulu ) and Northwest ( from Minneapolis to Amsterdam ) In both cases I liked it for the same reasons as J Correa who posted earlier. It was easier to sleep up there because there were fewer people moving about.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Dave

Another vote for upper level.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Mary

I too prefer upper level. I find it much quieter, and there's no one using the aisles as a thourougfare. If I'm paying for business class - I want as much quiet as possible!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Marcus

Some people told me they think upstairs is not as roomy and they feel closed in. It definitely is quieter.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:53 PM
David

Thanks for all the advise. So far, upstairs sounds like the place to be!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Shannon

We flew business on a KLM 747-400. Upper deck. Miles better (in my opinion) than the lower deck, and I went down there to look for some friends who were on the same flight. The upper deck had its own personnel, snack bar, toilets. It was kind of the equivalent to a penthouse suite.