Search

1st general

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st general

I've never flown before and was just hoping someone could walk me through the whole process so it may not be so daunting on THE day.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry hit the wrong button. Messed up the title and everything?
I?m flying Sydney to LA, and then on to DC (Qantas and AA). Will my luggage go all the way through or will I have to get it at LA for the next plane. Same question for my return flight from SF to LA to Sydney, will it be checked straight through to SYD?

What about the airports, can someone walk me through what I have to do and everything that goes on?

Just really nervous about this...
Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:09 AM

Glad you decide to make US your first air destination. Unfortunately, you're flying into one of the worst gateway airports for the us, LAX; especially for visitors.

Here's the rundown.

1. When you check in at SYD, they will tag your bags to Washington (Dulles, I presume), with flight numbers of both your QF and AF legs on it. <b>However, you must reclaim your bags at LAX</b> before immigration/customs. After you go through immigration and customs, there's an area where you can drop off your bags again, so you don't need to haul the bags between terminals, and you'll claim your luggage again at IAD (Dulles).

2. Let's back up a little. Before arriving at LAX, you'll need to fill out two forms. One is the I-94 entry form for immigration. Pretty straight forward. One form per traveler. The other is the customs form. As a visitor, you're only allowed US$100/traveler of gifts that you may bring into the US. Over that, and you need to list them on the back of the form, and they may tax you. You only need one form for each family traveling together.

3. As I said, LAX is one of the worst place to arrive at, as there are many international flights coming in. There are seperate lines for US citizens and residents (US passport or greencard), and for visitors. The visitors' line can be ridiculously long. It's not unusual to have to wait over an hour in line after you get your luggage. Make sure you use the bathroom before heading to the immigration lines. Fortunately the SYD flights arrive early in the morning, so I think it's not so bad at that time.

4. You're lucky to be connecting to AA, as they use Terminal 4, which is adjacent to the Bradley International Terminal you're arriving at. I believe (though not 100%) that you can walk over there easily. Save the time of waiting for shuttle bus. QF should be able to give you the boarding pass for the LAX-IAD flight at SYD, but even if not, you can easily get it at AA's counters at LAX.

5. I looked at QF/AA's schedule, and depending on the flight you pick, you should have 2:45 to about 3:30 for your connection, so there shouldn't be any problem. But even if you can't make it for whatever reason, do not worry. AA will get you there to Washington, either on a later non-stop, or on one of its numerous connections via Dallas (DFW) or Chicago (ORD). You will get to Washington that day.

Now, for your return, it's much simpler. The US doesn't have passport control for people leaving the country. Just make sure your check-in agent at SFO take away the remaining portion of the I-94 form that's been stapled to your passport. They'll send that to US immmigration. Your luggage will be checked-through to SYD, so all you need to do is get off the plane at LAX, walk back to the Bradley Terminal, and get on your QF flight home. Very easy.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:18 AM

And, this should be helpful, with terminals and immigration/customs information:

http://www.lawa.org/lax/
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
Sunnyboy

From Sydney your luggage will be checked only to LAX but you will be given your boarding passes for both flights when you check in as Quantas and AA are code share airlines. After you check in you proceed to the security check point which is at the entrance to the gate area. From there you simply walk to your gate and wait for boarding. Here in the US they tell you to allow about 2 hours for the check-in process it may be different in Sydney so check with Quantas for their recommended time. You want to be at your departure gate about than 30 minutes before scheduled departure.

When you get off the plane in LAX follow the signs (and the crowds) to US Immigration. Once you clear Immigration (you'll need your passport) you go into the next room and claim your luggage and clear US Customs. Depending on how many flights and how many people are ahead of you in the line the Immigration and Customs process can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. After you clear Customs proceed down a short corridor to the AA baggage area (it's well marked - you can't miss it) where you will re-check your baggage through to your final destination. You then proceed to your gate for the last leg of your flight to DC. There are plenty of tv monitors which will show which gate and terminal is assined to your flight. If your DC flight is in a different teriminal there are shuttle busses to take you there and you will have to pass through the security check point at the &quot;new&quot; terminal. There are plenty of airport personell to assist you with directions if you get confused.

On your return leg you'll again get boarding passes for both flights and your luggage will be checked all the way through to Sydney. You'll have to clear Immigration and Customs in Sydney. The process is similar to the one you'll go through at LAX. Really, it's very easy but can be time consuming.

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:47 AM

<b>rkkwan's</b> advice is pretty much right on, except, you will not need to transfer between terminals on your return. 2 out of 3 QF flights to Sydney leave from AA's terminal 4. So there is a good possibility that after you land in LAX from SFO all you need to do is find your new gate without changing terminals.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:54 AM

And one final piece of advice. Don't even worry about anything. After few minutes you will become a pro. Airports are designed so even a novice like you will catch on very quickly.

Use the above advice just for some general info, but all you will need to do is follow instructions of the flight attendants and the signs and info desks at the airport. If you feel like you are going the wrong way - STOP and ask before walking to far. Airport employees are usually a friendly and helpful bunch.

The immigration and customs may not be so friendly but they are not evil either. They are doing a serious job and many of them just want to get you out as quickly as possible with the last amount of hassle. Unfortunately with the new security issues and understaffing, it may mean waiting in some long lines, but that's normal.

Don't worry, a have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM

AAFF - Thanks for the correction about QF departing Terminal 4.

scaredy_cat - AAFF is absolutely right about US immigration. Other than Israeli ones, US officers ask the most questions to arriving passengers. This is just the way they work. Some people get offended by them, but there's really nothing personal. They even ask a whole bunch of questions to US citizens like me who are returning to the US.

This is very different from immigration officers of most countries. For example, I travel to Hong Kong quite often, and you will never see any of their immigration officers move a facial muscle. They don't smile or open their mouths. Only thing they do is blink, or else they could have used robots.

Not the case in the US. They will ask you where you live, where you're going, who you're visiting, have you been to the US before (and when), whether you have any relatives living in the US, etc etc, plus they may also chat with your about weather in Sydney, Australia.

Again, just be open-minded, as we operate differently here.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:37 AM

Since you are a novice, I'll add some things at the start. My kids recently went through their initiations.

First, parking at airports is usually fairly expensive, so I always try to arrive by public transportation or a cab. In my home airport, the cheapest parking is over $10 US a day, so on a two week trip you could be looking at about $150; a cab costs $12, so its a no brainer.

When you arrive at the airport, there will probably be sections for the various airlines, so find the section for Qantas. They usually have counters with lines for different kinds of travel, so look for the one for international travel. Before you approach the counter, be sure you don't have anything in your pockets or your carry-on that will upset security, such as a pocket knife. Put all such items into your luggage to be checked. Then step to the appropriate counter with a picture ID (a passport is good) and check your bags, but retain your carry-on (I always carry a small bag with books, food, camera, bottled water, etc.)

After checking your bags, ask them where to go next, and they will direct you to security (if they just give you a gate number, ask them for directions). They should also give you your boarding pass and a ticket with your luggage numbers on it.

When you follow their instructions to the gate, you will come to security, where you will need your picture ID and boarding pass. There are always differences in how they do security, so just follow their instructions. Don't make any bomb jokes at this time; they are sensitive. If they find something they won't let you take, ask them if they can make arrangements to have it mailed to your home; often they won't, so you just forfeit it.

Once through security, find your gate area and have a seat until they are ready for boarding; you probably would have time to get a bite to eat or do some shopping, just as long as you stay inside security and get back to the gate on time. Some people try to talk the gate agent into upgrading them, but I rarely see that work; the agents, once they arrive, are usually quite busy.

When they call the flight for boarding, they will probably call the first-class passengers first, then tourist. It is advantageous to be among the first to board, as there is almost never enough space in the overhead bins and it's first come first served. My wife and I avoid this hassle by keeping our carry-ons (we selected small ones) under the seat in front of us; it works for us, but it does take away some of your foot space.

At your final destination, go to the baggage area; they should have a board showing which carrousel your flight's luggage will be on (although I have seen them be wrong). Be alert watching for your own bag (some kind of special marking, such as colored tape, can be handy, as many bags look alike). While they are supposed to have some sort of security to prevent people from walking off with someone else's bags, it doesn't appear to be very effective; my wife and I have never had to show anyone our tickets proving that the bags we picked up are ours, so we are always concerned with theft in this process. If we need foreign currency, I get it at an ATM while my wife watches for our bags.

If no one is to meet you, you should visit the DC airport web site and see what is available in the form of transportation to your ultimate destination. There are always taxis there, but they are not always the most efficient method.

Don't hesitate to ask for help or directions anywhere along the line. Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Okay. Millions of people do this all the time so I should be fine *insert nervous smile here*.
Thanks for the info. It really has helped a lot. I am already feeling more confident about it now that I have a little more info on the whole process.
I'll have to come back after my trip just to update all of you on whether I had a nervous breakdown in the airport or not...
You guys are so great. Thanks again.