Reload this Page >

1st class stuffed shirts

Search

1st class stuffed shirts

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM
koyote962

1st class stuffed shirts

I recently just completed a round trip PHX to JFK trip where I booked 2 1st class seats for myself and my 14 yr old daughter. (Full Fare). My daughter is a typical teenager who wears her trendy clothes (hip huggers and platform flip flops) and has a piercing or two that I don't necessarily approve of, but other then that is a well behaved,respectful young lady. I heard several complaints from passengers who could not get an upgrade becuase a child was up there and 1st class should be off limits to children. Even the return flight attendant gave me a disapproving look seeing my daugher next to me. To those of you who feel that way, consider the following.

. 1st class air travel is nothing like it used to be with only the upper crust or frequent business traveler only up there getting your 4 course meal and personal valet to carry your bags. Today you get a hot sandwich, and the oldest flight attendant on the plane who gives service with a scowl most of the time.

. With airlines reducing there fares so much to sell every possible seat on the plane, the frequent flier programs are a near joke in trying to book any type of award travel (unless you're flying Southwest Airlines)that there is no longer loyalty to a single airline.

. I paid $2500 round trip for these tickets which is still a lot of money for the benefit of a wider seat and cashew nuts.

So those who could not upgrade at the reduced fare of $150 or don't like the fact I was wearing jeans and my daughter's toe nails were painted bright pink while we sat in 1st class.......Too Bad!!!!

Old May 8th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US domestic first is nothing like true international first. In some cases you do get 4 course dinner of a printed menu with at least 4-5 selections, a valet that takes your luggage as soon as you arrive at the airport, massage in the lounge, very fine wines, etc.etc., but that's not what you wrote about, so....

I'm not really sure what your complaint is. I travel first/business class exclusively and I like to be comfortable, so I always wear jeans, somewhat torn at the bottom, comfy shoes, a loose shirt and I'm in my 40s. I never had anybody complain that I did not belong there. There were times on domestic flights were I thought the person in the other seat was disguisting. There was one that put his bare feet on the bulkhead and as high as he could so everbody could see his ugly yellow, untrimmed toenails...arghh, I still can't get that picture out of my head and this was about a year ago.

But most of the time nobody cares how the other passengers are dressed or look like.

Maybe there was an ass in the crowd during your travels, but I would not accuse the entire first class cabin passengers of acting the same way. I hardly ever witness anything even close to what you describe, and if anything most passengers fying in the front cabin are usually very frienldy and accomodating when seat changes are asked for or if something needs to be adjusted.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Why would you care what other people think? If someone questions you or your daughter, tell them they can buy their own FC tickets.

And if a FA has a "funny look" get his/her name and write/call their supervisor.

Old May 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM
koyote962

You are correct in saying that I should not blame the 1st class passangers, I really wasn't trying to do that. My frustrations were toward those in coach who were 'wanna be's".

Also I do remember the domestic 1st class service about 10 years ago which did consist of a appetizer, the oshibori service (hot towel) , salad, entree and dessert.

I've only flown business class to Europe with similar service. The 1st class passengers got the massages and seats that reclined 180 degrees.

Old May 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM

I may be guessing, but I think it's the New Yorker attitude. I regularly fly between LAX and JFK, often sitting in 1st class. One particular flight back to LAX a couple had their 2 kids up in first with them and that caused a real stink with a passenger; the flight was delayed leaving. These kids were younger, maybe 5 or 6. I personally don't care at all who is up there as long as they don't smell.
By the way. Which airline did you fly? I usually get pretty good service in first, more then cashews anyway.
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM

It's amazing to me that you were able to read the FA's mind.

You are wrong in your rant about FF programs. It is possible to get award seats. There certainly is plenty of loyalty among frequent fliers.

I don't think that I've ever had a hot sandwich served to me on an airplane.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM

I would certainly consider it my bad luck if I paid full fare for first class (or overseas business) and was seated near whiney young children who 1) threw tantrums or 2)kicked my seat or 3)coughed all over the place w/o covering. (And yes, I've raised two children.)

Pink nail polish would be the least of my concerns. I might wonder if the child might grow up to feel rather entitled, but I wouldn't challenge her right to be sitting in the cabin!
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:52 AM

I still can't figure out why people would want to pay the extra to put someone under 21 in First Class. They're too young to drink, so why, I ask?
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:50 AM

I read this last night and felt that I needed to respond.

I would never make an embarrassing scene about a child in first class, however I am of the belief that nobody under the age of 18 should ever be permitted in first class. When you are paying sometimes exorbitant fares to sit in first class, one of the perks should be the ability to sit with adults who will appreciate the service. I did take my daughter to Florida as a graduation from high school present. We did go first class becuase she was 18 and I felt had the maturity to understand the absolute privilege of being up in front. She did not wear hiphuggers and flipflops but a skirt and stockings.

I know times have changes greatly in air travel and the airlines want to make as much money as possible. I am just expressing my opinion of the subject.

Old May 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM

It amazes me that people really think that class distinction on airplanes should be somehow age related - if you pay for the ticket, you get to sit there. We just flew Business (using FF miles) to London on AA - on our flight over, a family with 3 small children sat across from us - it was a night flight, the children ate and fell asleep, probably for more time than I did.
It's not about age, it's about behavior - unruly kids, unruly adults, same bad scene, no matter where you sit.
If an adult wants to pay (or use miles) for children in Business or First, that's their business, not mine.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

First off, flying in first or business class isn't a private club. Anybody with the money or the miles can do it, and certainly anyone paying for a ticket is ahead of those looking for upgrades. While I have never bought them a business or first class ticket, sometimes I've been able to upgrade my daughters so that they could fly with me and other times there were no seats available and they sat in coach. That's life

As far as I am concerned, who is flying with me has nothing to do with age, but a whole lot to do with their demeanor. While I've seen my share of rude, bitchy adults, particularly when alcohol is involved, I can't remember a time when I have seen a child in first or business class act up.
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I agree with socaltraveler and others who think this is a behavior issue and not an age issue. Behavior is ageless. In 3 weeks we are going to Europe for the 5th time with our daughter, who is now 18. We've sat both in business or Business/First and steerage. Regardless of which end of the plane we occupy, it's always been made clear to our daughter what behavoir is and what is not acceptable - and we've never encountered a problem. Years ago we flew FC on Delta to HNL and bought tickets for the 3 of us (daughter was 7 at the time). A fellow FC pax asked me if our daughter could sit in my lap so he could have the window seat. Before I could say anything (and I was certainly getting ready to), the FA told him firmly but politely that she had her own ticket and seat assignment and she was entitled to that seat. End of discussion and he returned to his assigned seat. I certainly agree that kids who misbehave should be properly dealt with, but bad or inappropriate behavior is by no means limited to those under 18 - and isn't dependent on where they sit on the plane.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM
btbynite

I live in NJ and fly Continental exclusively everywhere I go out of Newark,NJ. I carry about 80,000 One Pass miles so I upgrade frequently, although I find it harder to do lately becuase of the aircraft which used to be a DC-10 is now a 737-800 has a lot less first class seats. If I can't used miles to upgrade, I purchase the ticket. I fly up there with my kids all the time and have never had a problem. I do it for my own selfish reasons in that in coach I was usually getting the middle seat so my kids could have aisle and window and my wife sat across the aisle. I decided forget that and comfort is important and worth the money which means wear what you want too.

Old May 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM

there was a wsj article about this very subject some time ago. i think it was a little biased against kids, but an interesting read none-the-less. try searching for "first class" and "children" on their site.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM

The "domestic first class service" that you lament being gone is largely available on Continental, at least. I don't know about other airlines.

I've never heard anyone complain about not getting an upgrade because a minor was seated in business class, and, in all honesty, I'm curious how the OP heard such complaints, as no one knows what type of people are sitting in first class until the plane loads so there would be no cause to complain until the plane loaded. I'm wondering if you went back into tourist to lord it over the masses, and heard the complaint then?

I have no complaint with parents who want their children with them; I always keep my family together so I can insure that my kids don't act up, not that they need such supervision as they have been well behaved since they were young and found out we expected them to behave.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:11 PM
koyote962

The airline I flew was America West, now US Air. A319 jets with 12 seats in 1st class.
I disagree with mrwunrfl on the ease of getting awards. For several years now i've waited to cash in on awards because the max award is required; 50000 miles usually.
My company no longer uses America West as primary airline but Southwest or Continental even if it means a stop over.

Old May 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Several years ago... (at least 10) I was flying Delta Business Class home from London. Delta called the Business Class boarding and I went to board. There was a woman who was blocking access to the gate and when I went by her (I did not touch her in any way) she looked right at me and LOUDLY said "THEY ARE ONLY BOARDING BUSINESS CLASS" I turned and looked at her and said... "thst's where I am sitting would you like to inspect my ticket" Her husband looked like he wanted to DIE.... As Ms Rude got on the plane I toasted her with my drink... Revenge is sometimes the best reward....
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Koyote, sorry, but you sound apologetic, and I don't understand why. You paid for the 1st class tickets, and used those 2 seats you'd paid for.

Anybody can have a bad day, even on a plane, so don't pay attention to "looks".

Somebody couldn't get upgraded? Not because of you, or your daughter, or even the pilot! Because the airline doesn't have enough 1st class seats, that's why.

As for age limits... as long as the airline doesn't have them, what do you care? Feel blessed you can afford something better, and by all means, use it!
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:38 AM

There was a story on flyertalk a while ago about a stuffed shirt who oozed disapproval when he realised he was going to have to sit beside a 6 year-old in first class. Then she (who had her own frequent flyer card and quite a few points, thank you) graciously showed him how to work the personal video system in his seat ...
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:51 AM

Only over 18 in first class ? what is next, only thin people, people who smell good, who are wearing designer clothes, who don't talk too much, etc. give me a break. It is a seat with a price, whomever pays for it has the right to sit there. If you are so discriminatory, you need your own private plane. It's parent's raising of children that IMO that will determine their behavior and manners. If that issue is one you are passionate about become a counselor and do something about the problem instead of complaining. sorry-that just seems dumb to me. First Class is about money, not age.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -