Zanzibar lodges must not miss

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of going to stay at Fundu lodge on Pemba island. Anyone been there.? What about Stone town? It isn't on my itinerary, but would it be a shame to miss it.?Any tips would be much appreciated. Thankyou. Garthc
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I really liked Stone Town because it was so different from any other place I'd visited. If you're interested in Swahili culture, the history of the eastern slave trade, Freddie Mercury (!), etc., I think you'd like it. It is a bit intense, though.

We loved it. What are your interests?
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:09 AM
sandi

Remember that Fundu Lagoon is on Pemba which is a flight from Zanzibar. If Pemba/Zanzibar is your last stop before your homebound flight, and should this flight be an early one, you might not be able to make the connection.

You might want to spend a few days on Pemba then return to Zanzibar for a day or two in Stone Town which is only 10-minutes from the airport. From here you can more easily get to DAR-es-Salaam or JRO depending which is your departing city and without long travel before arriving at ZNZ airport.

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou so much on info regarding Stone Town and Zanzibar. It seems ,as Sandy realized that We just wouldn't make that connection and if we changed our tickets it would have cost royally. It'll have to be next time. We have paid for accomadation at Fundu Lodge, which sounds great, but it's a pity to be so close, yet so far. Maybe we'll ultimately revel in the peace and tranquillity of Fundu island after hectic safariing! Thanks anyway! garthc
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Leely, regarding Stone town-we're unfortunately not going to make it this time due to our naivete. We seemed to get locked in to Fundu lodge on Pemba island, which is probably idyllic. We just want to experience it all! We would have loved to have experienced the colour ,the sounds, the smells and the ambiance, but next time! Thanks anyway. garthc.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM

garthc, next time...

Have a wonderful trip!