Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding on where to spend layover - at the Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta Airport or the Kilimanjaro Airport

Need help deciding on where to spend layover - at the Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta Airport or the Kilimanjaro Airport

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi - I don't know why this topic has me stumped - perhaps it's not that big a deal.. but we have a flight from Grumeti that arrives at the Kilimanjaro Airport at 5pm, and we depart from the Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta Airport on British Airways at 11:25pm. I need to book a flight from the Kilimanjaro Airport (sometime after 5pm) to Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta Airport(I don't know the abbreviations for them)in time to make our 11:25pm flight.
My questions are: Is it better for us to have a longer layover at the Kilimanjaro Airport or at the Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta?
Also, how far in advance of our 11:25pm flight on British Airways should we plan to arrive?
Thank you very much!
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Well, enough time has passed... I did some researching. Apparantly, the best thing to do is get out of JRO or KIA (same thing - Kilimanjaro International Airport), as fast as we can so we can relax at NBO (Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta Airport).

However, I don't know how long to allow at JRO for customs, etc., don't know what time to aim for a departure flight from there for NBO.

Also.. apparantly only Precision Air operates between the two?

Thank you.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 08:16 PM

There's probably only one Precision Air flight from JRO to NBO after 5:00pm. What day are you traveling?

You should be at JRO at least one hour prior to departure to check in for your JRO-NBO flight. What carrier are you taking from Grumeti to JRO? Are you sure it arrives at JRO and not Arusha airport? If Arusha, you need to allow another hour to drive to JRO.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Precision Air's summer schedule shows a flight from JRO to NBO at 7:40pm. Patty makes some really good points, however. Make sure that your flight really is going to JRO and not the local Arusha airport. The drive between the two may be closer to 2 hours, given that you would be driving through Arusha at "rush hour." There are some flights between the two airports, but I'm not sure if there are any that would work for you.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:54 AM

As you've already determined, it's best to get to NBO as soon as. And, the flights are limited to the "last flight out"

JRO is a small airport and the plane flying to NBO will be a small one, at max 40/paxs, so clearing Immigraton/Security should go quickly. But you still have to check-in minimum 1/hr prior. Actually for an international flight, which though right next door, from JRO/Tanzania to JKIA/Kenya is international, with a 2/hr prior check-in. Arriving at 5pm if at JRO, you'll be fine.

Just make certain the flight from Grumeti goes into JRO and not Arusha, or as above... the drive is between 1.5-2/hrs at that time of day.