Search

Zanzibar Flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zanzibar Flights

Hi folks;

We will be visiting Zanzibar in February and already have a flight booked for arrival but need to get one from Zanzibar to Dar to catch our onward SA flight. It departs Dar at 14:45 so my question is are we OK to take Precision Air from ZNZ at 12:05 ? (arrives 12:35)

Do they frequently cancel or run late ? Would we be better off to take an earlier flight ?
I hate to waste time but don't want to miss a flight either.

Thanks.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Take an earlier flight regardless the fact you might have a long layover at DAR. Not unusual for Precision (or other air carriers) to be late and cancel a flight. The important thing is that you make the connection for your onward SA flight.

If you do arrive with a few hours layover, there's Slipway nearby the airport where you can have a drink, lunch and relax till you have to be back at airport for security & checkin which is minimum 2.5/hrs prior - remember: it's an international flight.

Also, as a 'heads-up' have cash (USD, about $50/pp), as a departure fee that is charged leaving ZNZ (read Precision website). Though this is often included (or should be) in cost of ticket, not so with all carriers. It's not a scam if being asked for this fee.

Sure wish they'd stop changing rules midway... ugh!

And a reminder... on arrival South Africa, a Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same is required for entry having been in TNZ/ZNZ.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Sandi.

Good advice - I will heed it.
Re.the Yellow Fever, got that a while ago for another trip. Good reminder though it's so easy to miss these details which can ruin a trip !

Chris
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:07 PM

The fee departing ZNZ is being charged to every one now, it is no longer included in the price of the ticket (since March 31, 2013 I believe). After you check in you have to go to a wicket/window where they will take your money - as far as I could see they did not take credit cards, so have ready cash. The cost is $35.00 USD for an international flight, but since you are only going to Dar, technically, that should be cheaper. On top of that there is an $8.00 'safety' fee.
On one of our Precision flights (going to ZNZ) we were delayed by 4 hours. On the way out it went 10 min early though.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM

..... Lynda, a 'wicket/window'

Thanks for reiterating about the funds now due on departure from ZNZ.

One flight late, another early - TIA, this is Africa!
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 12:23 PM

There are two terminals at DAR, domestic and international. Which one does the Precision Air flight from ZNZ to DAR go to? That's another consideration. The Precision Air ZNZ - DAR flight I was on last year did arrive at the international terminal, but there is no guarantee that they won't shift it to the other terminal. The terminals aren't particularly close together, either. Take an earlier flight and just "chill" at DAR. The only issue with going into the city is the horrible traffic. In heavy traffic, the Slipway is about and hour's drive. There are no hotels close to DAR.
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM

I stayed at the Slipway hotel in August. I did the journey from the airport about 4pm, and back about 7am. Both times it took over an hour and a half. My friend arrived late in the evening on the KLM flight and made it in 40 mins, and I've also made it in less than an hour when heading to the airport for an early flight (8:30am) so travelling probably about 5am. But apart from very early or very late the traffic is horrendous- it's certainly not somewhere you can pop out to for a quick drink.

I flew Znz-Dar with Coastal which was on time and we didn't have to pay any departure tax.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks.

I sure hope the flight lands at the right terminal, can't find anything about that on the Precision Air website. They do have a note to their "esteemed" customers that they will no longer collect the $40 & $8 tax tax. ( I guess we will have to queue for this privilege.

They have a 10:15 flight and an 08:15 flight so I think we will take the 10:15 and just chill at DAR airport. Should be a treat !