Search

Zanzibar accomodationSas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Sas

Zanzibar accomodationSas

Hi<BR><BR>We´re intending to spend just over a week on Zanzibar as part of our honeymoon. 3 nights at Emerson and Green´s and 5 nights at Breezes. I´d really appreciate it if anyone who has been to these places could give me a bit of advice.<BR>1. Would you suggest more time in either destination?<BR>2. Which are your favourite rooms at E & G´s? <BR>3. What is the food like at Breezes? Is it worth going full board?<BR>4. Is it worth hiring a car on Zanzibar?<BR><BR>Thanks a lot <BR>Phil

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 11:36 AM
yyy

I've been to Breezes but not E&G so I cannot make any comparative time recommendation. We did enjoy Breezes greatly and 5 nights is fine, more even better. Try to book an ocean front room rather than one of the garden rooms (I cannot recall the exact terminology they use) as some of the garden rooms are fairly far from the beach.<BR><BR>Breezes food is excellent. Yes, definitely go full board as there is no place around to get a decent meal and I don't know if other resorts will accept non-residents. A car is not necessary as the roads are terrible(*) and it is easy enough to get a lift with a tour vehicle or whatever.<BR><BR>(*)The last 30 km or so to Breezes had pothole big enough for marlin 2 years ago. Hopefully it has been paved. If not, it is quite an adventure!<BR><BR>Plan on taking excursions from Breezes to, say, the spice farms and StoneTown. Going with a guide is much better than trying to figure out things on your own.<BR><BR>Another Phil

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Sas

Phil<BR><BR>A somewhat belated thanks for your reply - your info was very much appreciated. We are now booked for 4 nights at Stone Town and 5 at Breezes (Budget wouldn´t allow any more). We are also doing a 4 night safari in Tanzania so I´m looking forward to a pretty varied trip. If I have any energy left afterwards I will try and post a report. Thanks again.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 04:52 AM
zoe

I stayed in the West Room at Emerson and Green. It was recommended to us as the most romantic room and the bath was splendid - although it is sooo big you have to allow lots of time for it to fill up!!<BR>I'd say the southern parks of tanzania have as much to offer as the northern parks. I particuarly liked Ruaha. The best thing about the south is that it's not as busy as the north. In 3 days in Ruaha we only saw 7 other vehicles! You see that many in half an hour in Serengeti!<BR>Have a nice trip!<BR>Zoe

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:58 PM
Liz

We just got back from our honeymoon and stayed in the East Room at E&G. It was fantastic. Two of the walls were made entirely of gorgeous wooden latticework. It was great.<BR><BR>We stayed at Sunrise, a twenty minute walk down the beach from Breezes, and when we passed Breezes on a walk, we wished we had stayed there. And no, the road hasn't been paved, and I would go full board, too. It's just not a place where you go to different places each night for dinner.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:27 PM
rj

a few quick thoughts on zanzibar:<BR>1. stone town is overrated. two nights TOPS. there is very little to see. <BR>2. emerson & green is very cool and original however it is tucked away in a dirty alley that you and your wife will likely not feel safe walking around. we dined there last week (on the rooftop) and my fiance was not comfortable walking around...even with a guide.<BR>3. serena inn is fantastic. a nice oasis in the midst of stone town. prime rooms facing the sea will give you a magical sunset over prison island. also the restaruant is very nice and the pool great.<BR>4. we tried to do breezes but is was booked. abercrombie & kent tried to get us bluebay (they said it was nicer). i wasn;t sold and did fundu lagoon on pemba island (20 min planeride north of zanzibar island). cost me more than double but was the best $$$$ i have spent in years. the perfect exclusive, romantic place for a honeymoon.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:31 PM
Sas

Well, what can I say, its all booked now so I´ll just have to keep my fingers crossed! I reckon after a whirlwind 5 day safari my wife-to-be will be on her guard from the dangers of Stone Town. Hopefully we will be able to take one or two excursions if we run out of things to do. Breezes also sounds like the perfect place to unwind so if this isn´t a holiday to remember I´ll be taking my sleeping bag to Blackpool beach next year. Thanks for your comments and I´ll let you know!<BR>Phil

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:00 PM
angela

I loved Emerson and Green we were there for our honeymoon during the crazy 2000 elections where much of the Stonetown was shut down. Because there were so few tourists we were able to see all of the room ...practically my favourite thing to do...I don't remember the names but I loved the rooms at the very top of the house. Our room had latice work on two sides and a gorgeous bath but I also liked the other room at the top that had a little brige over to it. You do get some noise from the dancing in the restaurant but the music if fabulous and drifts down from the roof.<BR>You'll love the hotel. If you are at all adventurous don't worry about the alleys. Yes they are narrow and dark and certainly not pristine but this isn't the US.<BR><BR> The Serena is an attractive property but it a certain way it could be anywhere. Emerson and Greeen is really special and a wonderful honeymoon spot.<BR><BR>With four days in the Stone town you'll probably want to take a tour...you can do something with a guide/taxi which isn't too expensive. Make sure you eat at the little food market along the water...we ate lobster and wonderful hugh grilled prawns all fabulous!<BR><BR>As a Brit I really hope you don't end up in Blackpool!