Zanzibar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zanzibar

Hi

Myself and my friend are travelling to Zanzibar in October for a few days after trekking and safari in Tanzania.We're looking for somewhere on the beach for about three days to relax. However we don't want it to be too quiet - any suggestions ? I'm finding it difficult to find an medium between back-packer style and honeymoon village!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:42 AM

A friend just returned from Zanzibar and loved the area of Kendwa. I don't know where they stayed, but it seems like it's relaxing and pretty, without being too quiet or a honeymoon place.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lucia I'll check that out!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:21 AM
aby

kilmainham

maybe a place like Mapenzi would be medium priced ??
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:36 AM

We stayed in Nungwi last month, which is right next to Kendwa. Definitely not a honeymoon type atmosphere, with lots of stuff going on. There were lots of places to stay that were medium priced. I didn't stay there, but I really liked the look of Smiles Beach Resort.

I heard Kendwa was very nice to stay in as well. The beach is nicer there than in Nungwi and it's quieter.

Jenn
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - is Nungwi very commercial?
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:08 PM

I didn't find Nungwi to be very commercial. There are lots of hotels, restaurants and shops along the beach though. There was a great mix of people in Nungwi though and it was a wonderful place to meet others.

I have traveled quite a bit to the carribean and think most places I've been to there were more commericial than Zanzibar.

The beaches in Nungwi were not what I would call spectacular, but they were nice enough. Kendwa beaches were much prettier. I haven't been to any other part of the island though, so I can't compare.

Jenn
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed or heard any reports about Matemwe Beach guest house ?

Thks
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:29 AM
sandi

There are plenty who post here who have stayed at Matemwe Beach Village. It's the lower-end property of Matemwe Bungalows, but not "low" in that sense, rather less expensive. Matemwe is located on the northeast coast of the island. You should consider, if price right and space available you'll probably be most satisfied.

There isn't much commercilization in the area, but as to honeymooners - well, honeymooners do choose Zanzibar, so you may not be able to avoid them.

When we visited last year, except for a group of French tourists, most were honeymooners, most from Europe - Holland, Italy, France and Germany - add they were great and lots of fun. Many spoke English and for those who didn't, hand expressions, were understood by all. We were two women and the honeymooners didn't affect our trip for better or worse.

Do a search on this board for "matemwe beach village" (w/o the quote " marks) for comments.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Baobab beach bungalows along Nungwi are nice.Pocket friendly and an excellent place to relax and get to meet other people.