Zambian Hunting Concession Leaseholders...

Jul 20th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Zambian Hunting Concession Leaseholders...

I thought this was interesting...from The Hunting Report (www.huntingreport.com)

The only name I currently recognize is African Experience Safaris (Lunga River Lodge and Busanga Bush Camp, two photographic camps that are often regarded as the best in Kafue NP. I don't know if this means that their existence is keeping a hunting operation from moving in, or if it means that they may dabble in hunting.

When I get a chance I will look into the other companies to see if I find anything interesting.

The sad thing is that I strongly believe that trophy hunting is morally wrong yet I also strongly believe that without it in certain areas, that the game would be much worse off to fend for themselves amongst poachers. So, as much as I detest trophy hunting and those individuals who participate in it, I also think it is a necessary evil.
Jul 20th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Here is a better link with contact persons, in case any of the names are recognizable (as also being involved in photo safaris besides Africa Experience)

http://www.huntingreport.com/other_h...m?articleid=54
Jul 20th, 2005, 07:13 PM
bwanamitch

Surprise, suprise.

I already knew some of the names, but this one is even for me a surprise.

And if it's true, they really have had big luck: the Lunga Busanga hunting concession borders directly to the area of their photographic operation.

Mitch

Jul 20th, 2005, 07:20 PM
bwanamitch

Rocco,

I'm quite sure you will find a recognizable name.

If you were after the Chiawa story, here is the operator:
http://www.senangahunters.com/zambia.htm

Jul 20th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Mitch,

Unfortunately, there are not too many places anymore where there is not trophy hunting going on in the vicinity. To my knowledge, only Kenya has disallowed trophy hunting altogether, and unless I am mistaken, I believe that their wildlife numbers, namely elephants, have actually dropped since the hunting ban went into effect (hunting concessions out, poaching operations in).

Even the Okavango Delta has hunting as well as Kwando. Until this year, I believe Chitabe / Chitabe Trails actually had to share its 35,000 ? hectare concession with a hunting operator. Another example is Phinda...just last year they bought out Zuka, which operated a trophy hunting operation.

Sadly, trophy hunting is just about everywhere. While at Kulefu last year, just across the river on the Zimbabwe side, at least a couple times a day we would hear booming gunshots.

Now, here is a disturbing article:

http://www.gnn.tv/headlines/2592/Mug...ving_villagers

Rather than hold free elections and thus likely qualify for aid, he would rather hold onto power at the expense of the elephants. Sick.

There are just so many articles out there about trophy hunting and even worse, about poaching, that I could go on and on and on. But in the end, what I lack is the first hand knowledge that a Fodorite like Luangwablondes would have. I would really like to know which lodges owners double dip in photosafaris and trophy hunting safaris. There must be quite a few. At least that would give us the option to book with an operator that is not profiting from trophy hunting.

In the end, however, it is a double edged sword. If these trophy hunting operations were not around, it is not as if these inadequate and bloodthirsty trophy hunters would go out and buy a Canon 20d and then hang out with us at our favorite lodges. No...instead the areas would become susceptible to poachers and the wildlife would be decimated. I certainly don't know the answer.

Search this Thread