West Kilimanjaro Camp

Jul 20th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

West Kilimanjaro Camp

I have not been able to find much to read about this camp. I have been requested to lead a group trip and Tanz in February is one itinerary I am considering but I have a much better knowledge of Southern Africa.

Any feedback on this camp would be appreciated.
Jul 20th, 2005, 04:53 PM
bwanamitch

PredatorBiologist,

I assume that you've visited already their website, but just to make sure:
http://www.kirurumu.com/

Mitch

Jul 20th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Yes Mitch -- thanks, I have looked there. I am hoping I can find some experienced feedback. Since it doesn't seem to occur on many itineraries I'm also interested in how well it fits for a good Northern Circuit itinerary. I have posted a complete itinerary on the Tanzania in February thread.
Jul 20th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Hi PB

West Kilimanjaro camp is near the excellent Kambi ya Tembo camp. I was told that it is set up by request, meaning it may not be available for the whole season.

It was not set up during my stay at Kambi in May so I did not see it, although I know its location.

I like that area a lot but don't have a good feel yet for the game patterns in and out of Amboseli. Elephant and plains game were plenty in May, but I don't know about Feb!

Indications are that there is a wildebeest/zebra migration in Feb-Mar from Tarangire via Natron towards Amboseli, also elephants from west Kilimanjaro towards Amboseli. This sounds good for the area but who knows.

The Kirurumu folks have always taken good care of me so my guess is that their camp will be very good too. Certainly worth a good look.

Maybe they can tell you more about the game patterns up there in Feb. If you can post your findings here it will be great!
Eben
Jul 20th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Eben: Thanks for the input, that helps me understand the area a little better. I will ask for more info and will post what I find out.

Search this Thread