Zambia: Nov 1-13 - Anybody going?!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings from London and a new Fodorite! My husband and I are US citizens living in the UK and decided to take advantage of the proximity to travel to Africa. After much lurking around on this site and "eavesdropping" on everyone's conversations and relying on Rocco's and Julian's wonderful suggestions we decided to take the plunge. After contact last fall with Rocco and Julian we will be going to Chiawa and the Luangua River Lodge for a total of 10 days to celebrate this baby boomer's birthday! We will then do 6 days in Cape Town doing a tour with Selwyn and then driving to the Winelands. It would be great to know if there will be any Fodorites at either of the two camps or Cape Town. Would love to GTG, if possible. I am so excited!!! I can hardly stand it anymore and wish I could just click my ruby slippers three times and arrive tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for making a dream trip come true!
Mandy
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:08 PM

Wish I was going to be at LRL then, but I'll be in Zimbabwe. You're going to love your trip, travel safe and have fun. Happy Birthday!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dennis! I should be seeing you soon for lunch with Julian. I hope you are doing okay after the earthquake. I just returned from a trip to Montenegro and thought of you and Hawaii. Hope all is well. See you soon!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:40 PM

o.k. kulagal...i get it now...duh! i'll see you in a few days!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Kulagal, where in Montenegro did you visit? I visited in Kotor and Budva as part of my trip to the Western Balkans in August.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Hello Thit Cho,
We first flew to Podgorica, the capital, and stayed one night after a late arrival. Then the company who my husband was meeting 2 days later hired a driver to take us to Ostrog,the famous monastery that's built into the mountain - very interesting with some beautiful views of the valley below. Then the driver took us to Becici where we stayed at Queen of Montenegro - a nice hotel, with beautiful views of the water and pretty good food. The next day a driver took us to Kotor since I had heard that a lot of people compare it to Dubrovnik. It was very pretty although we only had 2 hrs to look around the "old city" and nearby port. The day before we left my husband left his meeting early and we went to Budva. That was okay but we were really glad we had stayed in Becici. It really has a beautiful bay. I can see this area in 20 years just buzzing!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Kulagal
Have a wonderful trip. Please report on your leopard sightings at Chiawa.
Mark
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mark! Since I didn't know there would be a possibility of seeing leopards I will definitely be on the look out! That would be exciting, but seeing any of the animals will be a huge high for me. As they say here in England, "I'm over the moon!"
Mandy
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:02 PM
bat

kulagal--sounds like a wonderful trip. looking forward to your report.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:14 PM

Hi Kulagal. My wife and I will be setting off from London next Wednesday on our seventh trip to Africa in the last four years (our sixth safari). Our itinerary is:
3rd Nov to 8th Nov.(6 nights) Luangwa River Lodge
9th to 11th.(3 nights) Puku Ridge Tented Camp
12th to 14th.(3 nights) Chiawa Camp
15th. Fly back to London
No doubt we'll cross paths at some stage!
Even though we are safari "regulars" we still get a tremendous buzz every time we climb into that spotting vehicle; the sense of anticipation is skin-tingling.
6 days to go!!!!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Hi Kulagal,

Ruth and I will be with you in spirit as we still cannot stop thinking and talking about our trip to Chiawa, Old Mondoro and Luangwa River Lodge which seems in some ways so long ago even though we returned only a little more than two weeks ago.

However, it also seems so fresh and new in another way, since I just received my 42 rolls of slide film. And, yes, some of the pictures of the leopard and serval at Chiawa turned out--and the lions, ellies, hippos, buffalo, birds, plus giraffes, zebras, more lions, ellies, leopard, at Luangwa River Lodge. Now, to distill down to the best images, digitize and integrate in with the others.

I've started a forum report at "Zambia--what an amazing journey!" and wrote about Chiawa and posted some P&S pics, but still have get to the next phase of the trip (Had to take a time out for a quick trip to Alaska. Beautiful, and bountiful--crab, shrimp, salmon--but every time we saw a bald eagle (and we saw lots), it would take us back to Africa and its regal fish eagles.

Anyway, at Chiawa, please say hi to Barbara, Grant, Joe, Paul, and Craig at Chiawa (plus Dave, who I expect will meet you at the Lusaka a/p).

And, at LRL, please say hi to its wonderful hosts/owners, MaryAnn (she should be within days of giving birth when you arrive) and her husband, Sean. And especially to Victor, our guide. We really miss them all, and that wonderful place. You will have a super time.

Jim and Ruth

Still have to convert to digital form.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Philip,
We leave from London on Nov 1st for Chiawa for a 5 day stay (2-6) where I will celebrate my birthday then on to LRL for the next 5 days (7-11). Looks like our paths will cross on the 7th at LRL. I will be on the look out for you when I'm not on the look out for those wonderful animals that are waiting for us! Safe travels. Mandy
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Jim and Ruth,
I can only imagine the feelings you have having just returned from a fabulous trip. I will definitely give your regards to the staff at both camps and blow a kiss when we leave. 5 days to go! Mandy