Yeah! Got Camera & Lens ! What else?

Jun 29th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Yeah! Got Camera & Lens ! What else?

58 days to go and I just got my new 30D with 2 lens (17- 55 f2.8 IS & 70 - 200 f2.8 IS BUT I realize I have to learn how to clean when over in Kenya. (I did get some filters too and will get a bag.) What should I get to do for this tricky part of the job? I am so excited I can't think straight any more AND I don't even know ho I would have gotten this far without all of your help. What works best for a novice?
Jun 29th, 2006, 10:41 PM
liveforholiday

You will need a Hurricane Jumbo Blower and a Lens Pen. We used ours extensively in TZ to keep the dust off the lens.

Also, ziplock bags to keep on the camera in between use. Each ziplock lasted about 2 days before we had to replace with a new one and it was still the wet season.

Have fun!

Jun 29th, 2006, 11:22 PM

Take a silk pillow case: that way you keep the camera covered when not in use and use it as a changing "bag" when switching between lenses.
Jun 30th, 2006, 12:59 AM

I would suggest that you consider adding a 1.4x or 2x teleconvertor. 200mm, even on a camera with a reduced sensor, is not that much of a zoom while on safari.
Jul 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM

I have to agree - you're probably going to want more reach. I used my Canon 100-400L IS for 90% of my shots. I am glad I had it. Good luck 13moons - Have you found a camera bag yet?
Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:13 AM

I have a Canon S2, but have no idea what equipment I need to go with it for my September safari. Like 13moons, I am a novice, so will be eagerly watching this thread for advice.

I know virtually nothing about cameras/equipment/bags/etc. Looks like a jumbo blower would be appropriate for me as well. I don't know what a lens pen is.
Jul 2nd, 2006, 12:07 PM

nevermind
A lens pen is simply a brush to wipe dirt of lens and it retracts into the pen shaped body with a cap. Small, easy to carry and the cap keeps the brush clean. Any camera store will a have one brand or another.
For your Sept safari you will need-
1) SD cards, at least two 1 gig cards (totaling 2g). A gig holds about 700 photos, so 2g will be 1,400 photos. The S2s neat movie mode also takes up memory. I'd go for 4gig worth of SD cards. With that much it will probably hold all of your photos. Then you don't have to get involved with "downloading" photos and erasing the card for more photos.
2) At least one spare rehargeable battery set (2 sets total, 8 batteries total). Of course take the charger. Also good idea to take a set of lithium batteries in case the charger breaks. They are not rechargeable and cost about $2 each. But they have the most "power" of any none rechargeble battery and a long "shelf life" so if you don't need them they will still be good for 5 years.
3) A case of any kind to put the camera, SD cards, spare batteries in. The charger you can just toss in with your other stuff.
I think that's about all. We, three of us, went on safari last Sept 2005 and EACH of us had an S2. We loved it. A few photos taken with the S2 are on my Kodak gallery. No add on lens fiters or such. Just the basic S2 at-
http://www.kodakgallery.com/tdgraham/main/safari_2005
regards - tom
ps hope this posts ok, this forum/site seems to having trouble this weekend.
Jul 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM

Tom, thanks for the reply. I think I've viewed your pictures before. Actually, I believe they (along with some of your previous posts) were part of my decision to go with the Canon S2. Now I just need to practice with it and become comfortable. As soon as I'm able, I plan to shop for a bag and equipment. I appreciate your guidance, so I don't seem to be too much of a chump when I go shopping!!!
Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:19 PM

nevermind-
You are welcome. You're right practice as much as you can. I hate fumbling with camera settings or such when the picture is passing in front of me. If you have any questions email me or the forum. Lots of people on the forum have the S2. My email is - tdgraham atsbcglobal dotnet. Your email will go into my spam filter and I may very well may miss it. Put something like "tom, not spam" in the subject line. And if I don't respond send it again. Have fun.
regards - tom
Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:34 AM

"Looks like a jumbo blower would be appropriate for me as well. I don't know what a lens pen is."

Nevermind, the original poster has a camera with interchangeable lenses. When you change lenses dust can get into the chamber and on the image sensor, showing up as spots on the image. So they need a blower to remove that dust.

The camera you are using does not have interchangeable lenses so you won't have this problem. You will get dust on the front of the lens but not inside on the sensor. You don't need a large blower nor a lenspen but can get by with lens cleaning tissues to clean the front of your lens (lenspen would also work but you don't really need it).

Baggies or shower caps are handy for keeping off some of the dust on your camera, btw.

Bill

Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:40 AM

Tom & Bill, thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to get out my trusty instructions manual and begin practicing with my camera today. Hopefully I'll learn something new each day.

Tom, thanks for the email address. It is good to know there is help out there should I become frustrated or confused (which has been known to happen...)