Xtra camera

Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Xtra camera

I'm hoping for some recommendations/links for a fairly inexpensive (under 300. perhaps) extra camera for my next safari trip.
I'd like something fairly compact that I can quickly whip out without need for lens attachments, adjustments, etc.
I'd like to use this camera on my upcoming Mana pools canoe, mokuro (sp.) and hiking potions of my trip.

This would be a second camera that my DH and I would share. My other camera is a FZ30 which I'm quite happy with. Not professionals here - but do love nice nature photos.

In added plus would be having the use of a camera like this for later underwater scuba photos, hiking, kayaking, etc.
I would forfeit the underwater capacity for a camera that will suffice for my other requirements i.e. compact, decent pictures, easy to use, fairly rugged, fairly humidity resistant and whatever else I'm forgetting to add in.
Any push in the right direction is appreciated.
Thanks ahead;
Sherry
Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM

How about another similar Panasonic, a DMC-FZ8K. For $250 at amazon dot com, no sales tax, free shipping.

Underwater cameras. Well I did a google search for "underwater cameras" and that is a different world of cameras. Suggest you start reading about them.

regards - tom
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM

For a point and shoot back-up, I like the Canon Digital Elf series. I've had 4 of them, going back 6 or 7 years and have always been happy.

Canon also makes some underwater housings for them (though it's an additional cost) that work exceptionally well.

I'd look at www.stevesdigicams.com. They do great reviews.
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feed back. I'll check both out. Have either of you used the cameras mentioned specifically on safari?
The problem with some rec. on those sites is that the people rec. are taking pic. of their freinds and not nature and do not address the humidity or ruggedness factor of the camera.
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Nope, haven't used any of those. Just thinking that getting another Pany would cause less pilot confusion than a different brand with different menu screens.

Always good idea to have two cameras, like you say they can break. I doubt that the ruggedness of a camera is seriously considered in the design until you're looking at pro cameras of $$$$$. But you can read a lot of in depth reviews, serious reviews, of all kinds of cameras at dpreview dot com.

regards - tom
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Our backup was an Olympus 740. Turned out my wife used it and such was great as it added another dimension to our collectin as we often had pics of same subject but from different angles/perspectives.It is quite small fitting into jacket pocket.I also took an old Minolta SLR but ended up taking maybe 1.5 rolls with it. Dick
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM

I was thinking the same thing as Tom - same brand probably makes for easier use. Both of mine are Canon. Little one is the Powershot 610 (I think). Had it for a few years, so I'm sure there's newer versions. If it were me, I think I'd stick with the same brand, though.

Shane
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Has anybody used the Canon SX100IS 8MP 10X? Do you like it?
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

I'm trying to do this with as little emotion as I can.
Seems like I keep getting attracted to all the bells and whistles which seem to consistently bring me over the 300. mark. If I lose an inexpensive camera amongst the crocs. I won't care. If however, it's a costly camera, I may have to dive in.
One thing brings the price up that I'm wondering if I'll need is image stabilizing.
I'll be in a canoe on the Mana pools part of my trip and do wonder if the image stabilizer will make or break my photos.
I'm also wondering about the lens distance. I know it's a matter of giving things up but I can't decide which to eliminate.
I'm seeing a few Olympus and Nikon coolpix cameras that can gain a later addition of a watertight enclosure. I'm finding though that the cameras are more than I want to pay.
I guess, I could always put my camera in a couple condoms later, as well. Don't laugh, it's been done.
Navy seals have been protecting their gear for years.
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:41 AM

This is my rifle
this is my gun,
this is for shooting
this is for fun.

regards - tom
Mar 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Looks like this camera may be the one. It appears to have all I want plus I can purchase a waterproof camera cover for dives. 250. - 300.

I found that the waterproofs that seemed fairly decent were $$$$$. All the rest seemed to compromise something to be considered waterproof.

Please let me know if you think I'm missing something with the Panasonic Lumix DMC Tz3
I currently use SD cards for my FZ30 and hope to use them with a second camera.
All thoughts appreciated.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/1247...lumix_dmc_tz3/