Xigera vs. Jao

Sep 14th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Xigera vs. Jao

Has anyone had experience at these two camps? We are planning a trip for April 2004 and want to include a water based camp in our Botswana itinerary. I know the accomodations at Jao are supposed to be fantastic, but I haven't seen any posts on Xigera. Based on lots of other threads I have read here we are really trying to get into Mombo for the land based activities. Thanks
Sep 15th, 2003, 05:09 AM
sandi

Chelsea2 -

Xigera (Keegera) is a small 4-tents (8 people) land/water camp - I understand it was recently refurbished. Maybe because of it's small size, there might not be many responses.

Compared to Jao which accommodates up to 18 people; besides being larger is also more expensive.

Have you check the site: www.wildernesssafaris.com

or check www.gnu.com
that lists almost all accommodations in Africa along with prices. Some prices only till end-'03.

Check these out.

Sep 15th, 2003, 11:52 AM
sandi

Chelsea2

sorry a typo - that last website is

www.e-gnu.com

Sep 16th, 2003, 09:38 AM

We went to Little Vumbura in April '03 and loved it. During the month of April it is a water/land camp. Search on Little Vum and you will find my trip report. Also, we used e-gnu.com to plan our trip and we were satisfied with their services.
Have fun!
Sep 16th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Chelsea

Be aware that more than one recent visitor to mombo (from those who post here) has been disappointed with the experience and that standards may have dropped since myself and others posted glowing reviews about it.

Secondly, whilst I haven't been to Jao or Xigera I can pass on comments I've heard from more than one travel agent that suggest that Jao is more about the accommodation whereas Xigera offers the better experience. Coming from an agent (who would get higher commission from sending me to the more expensive Jao, this means something to me).

I do recommend doing as you're intending - contrasting a land camp with a water one.

We loved that contrast.

In Botswana (in 2001) we went to Little Mombo (adored it), Little Vumbura (ditto) and Chitabe Trails (which happened not to capture our hearts in the same way).

On our next trip (2004) we'll be returning to Little Mombo as well as visiting Tubu Tree, Jacana, Savuti and Gudigwa from Wilderness Safaris as well as Jack's Camp. We'll also be returning to Namibia's Wolwedans.

What else is in your itinerary?

Sep 26th, 2003, 06:39 PM

I was at Jao last year, and while the accommodations were amazing (on a par with Mombo), I wasn't that impressed with the game viewing. Perhaps that is because we were there during the "green season," when the animals are not as plentiful. However, we also went to Mala Mala and the games drives there were fantastic!
Sep 27th, 2003, 06:33 AM

I was at Jao this April and was very impressed with it from all respects. It is a georgeous place with beautiful accommodation, excellent management and guides, and high quality game viewing. Of course being a water based camp the game is not always the same type as at Mombo . There was no shortage of game and we saw animals that you would not likely find at the other drier camps: Sitatunga, crocodiles, Red Lechwe, and a tremedous variety of birds. Of note we also saw Caracal, African Wildcat, Rhino, Elephants, Hyena,Lion and others.
Here, for a really diffrent perspective, you can go out in the mokoros and larger boats and even fish for Tigerfish.
It was a great atmosphere there, the staff are very genuine, friendly and sometimes put on a wonderful show.
Bon Voyage!
Sep 30th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! We have decided to go ahead with Jao as we were able to fit it into our budget. We figured since this is the last stay on our itinerary it would be nice to soak up the luxury. So far our itinerary looks like this:
3 nights Capetown - Arabella Sheraton
2 nights Winelands - Roggeland
3 nights SabiSands - MalaMala
2 nights Livingstone/Vic Falls - Water Club
5 nights Botswana - (3 at Mombo & 2 at Jao) - then back to US

We are still trying to get into Singita or Londolozi rather than MalaMala, but are not sure it is worth the difference in price. From what I read the game viewing may be slightly better at MalaMala, but the lodge experience better at the others. I am hoping that things at Mombo get back on track after reading some of the postings on the site, but it sounds like Wilderness has been really responsive. Anyway I can't wait for the trip as it is our first visit to Africa and major celebration for my 40th! thanks again for your help, I really have enjoyed reading all your posts.
Oct 1st, 2003, 03:45 AM

Sounds wonderful - can't wait to hear about the trip once you're back!!!

Search this Thread