WS Migration Routes Safari

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WS Migration Routes Safari

I've been reading in this forum for several weeks and have found it a great help in getting a grip on the bewildering array of options for Southern Africa safaris.

Has anyone done the "Migration Routes" safari operated by Wilderness? I'm aching to do a Botswana safari, but can't really afford the fancy camps, and I like rough camping anyway, so I'm looking at the Migration Routes trip. If it happens, I'd be going during the last half of October.

Any comments or advice concerning that trip or the time of year? Or a "better" alternative?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM

Here's one report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34957250
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM

rickck -
I didn't do the Migration Routes safari, but my friends and I did Wilderness Safari's Untamed Lands Safari. Similar to Migration Routes with Nxai Pan and Camp Kalahari added on. We had a blast and loved the various activities that we had throughout the two weeks.

And I wouldn't really call the camping roughing it. Yes, you are in tents, but they are nice large tents with duvet comforters on the cots. You never have to lift a bag or cook your meals.

October will be hot though.

My trip report (and photos) of our adventure is here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=4
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi Buzz... I had read your report on Untamed Lands and recognized the similarities to Migration Routes. Were you satisfied with the quantity and quality of wildlife viewing? One of my concerns is that there may be too much water based activity which doesn't seem to yield a lot of the terrestrial wildlife. I am particularly enamored of cats and, if I recall your trip report rightly, you had a good lion experience, and a bit of cheetah, but only one shy leopard? Also, should I be concerned about late October from a wildlife abundance perspective, as well as the heat (mid 90s I believe)? Many thanks, rickmck
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:03 AM

rickmck -
Being this was my first trip to Africa, I was satisfied with the quantity and quality of wildlife. We saw so much variety. We had quite the mixture of folks in our truck from those who liked birds to the elephant fans to the cat & wild dog fans (me!) and I think all of us came away very satisfied.

Do I wish we had been able to see more of the cats? Certainly. But I truly enjoyed what we were able to see and the variety of wildlife and activities were wonderful. I loved the different environments within Botswana, from the salt pans to the delta to the spillway to the mopani forests of the Linyanti.

Even the areas where there weren't a lot of wildlife viewing (Camp Kalahari & Xigera), there were other things to amaze us beyond the wildlife. Camp Kalahari had the the Baobob trees and the ATVs on the pans. Xigera had tons of birds and the scenery & sounds there were just amazing.

I think the wildlife viewing will be much better in October. Despite it being hot, it will be at the end of the dry season and the wildlife will be concentrated at watering holes and permanent rivers. Our guide Richard said Sep-Oct was by far the best time for wildlife viewing.

Since the Migration Routes mobile does not do Nxai Pan and you are keen on the cats, you could always add this area onto the beginning or end of your tour. Or you could add a few days at a tented camp like Chitabe Trails (which is close to Maun). I think you will see plenty of wildlife on the mobile alone, but adding one of these will probably provide extra opportunity for the 3 cats wildlife viewing.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Buzz... What a great idea to add on a camp at the end, if it can be done affordably. I'm going to post another query asking which camp in the Delta/Moremi would be best for cats (aside from Mombo) in October. What's your opinion? Thanks again, rickmck
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Being that I am planning a return trip in 2009, I have been told that Chitabe Trails is one of the better camps for cats (and Wild Dogs). Add to that, it is closer to Maun and a 5 paw camp, so you should be able to add it fairly inexpensively to you mobile.

I'm also doing Vumbura Plains, Lebala, & Selinda camps and my interests are roughly the same as yours (cats & wild dogs).
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Rick, There have been a number of threads on WS Migration Routes safari recently. Here is one:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34957250

If you do a search for "migration routes" you will find several.

P.S. It's a great safari, I did it last June and loved it.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, buzz & others... I have booked the Migration Routes safari for late October. I was unable to get a few (affordable!) nights in a tented camp in the delta area at the end, so have added 3 nights at Mala Mala in SA (happily, they have one "single" room that does not carry a single supplement and I was able to book that...). Four months will be a long wait, but I am eagerly looking forward to it. I will post a report on this, my first safari, on return...
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:25 AM

rickmck,
the Migration Routes Safari is a great choice for your first trip. Just know your going to love it. Octobers reputation for 'best time' viewing, particularly for cats and dogs will more than compensate for the heat.

I haven't been to Mala Mala so look forward to your report on that.
4 months will go in no time. Picking the trip is the easy part. Now you have to Pack!
Happy travels
Kaye

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM

I am glad you were able to add something onto the end of your trip. I think you have a fabulous itinerary with the Migrations mobile and Mala Mala.

And please report back to us all when you return from your trip. I too would love to hear about Mala Mala as I still may add it to the end of my 2009 trip that is currently in the planning stages.

Is that single room at the main Mala Mala camp?
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Buzz... Main Camp...