Worried about Temperatures

May 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Worried about Temperatures

Hello,
My DH and I are suppose to go to Israel this Nov/Dec.
Can anyone tell me if - from Nov. 25th through mid- Dec. - it gets uncomfortably cold?
I was told that it stays mild, light jacket to sweater weather.
I am hoping that we won't be walking around 'freezing'.
May 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM

Winters in Israel are like spring and autumn in N. America and Europe - there are a few days of rain followed by a week or two of sunshine. The temperatures vary according to location: Along the coast the average is about 20C (68F) during the day and about 12C (55F) at night. In the mountains - Jerusalem and Galilee - about 5C cooler. The Dead Sea and Tiberius (below sea level) - about 5C warmer. These are averages and the temps can be +/-5C. The best advice is to bring layers and also clothes that are good for touring in the rain. As for 'uncomfortable' - it depends where tou are coming fromand what you are used to.
May 17th, 2010, 12:31 AM

mbgg is spot on - I spent several weeks in Israel and Egypt in December several years ago, and the weather was exactly the same as it is in the winter here in LA - usually sunny in the high sixties/low seventies during the day, with lows in the '50's at night. Take a fleece for outdoor activities and a leather jacket for the cities.
May 17th, 2010, 07:00 AM

spot on!
Jerusalem though at altitude may get the worst - cooler, wetter - but nothing that a few layers won't help. Fleece, jacket, sweater for outdoors mornings/evenings... midday is usually nice.
May 17th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Everyone's giving great advice. Jerusalem and Sefad and a few other places higher up can be chilly, particularly at night, but the rest of the country can be surprisingly warm still. Make sure you bring a medium jacket and layers so you can strip off. Bring plenty of t-shirts and even shorts if you're going hiking.
Aug 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We like it cooler when we tour... so, these temps sound perfect
Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:46 AM

Don' assume you can walk around Jerusalem in summer clothes. ( and I see it all the time) It CAN be cold! Since I come from a cold place I always have a winter jacket with me and I've used it in Jerusalem! Closed shoes, multiple layers etc. It is better to have warmer clothing that you do not use than find out you are shopping in Israel for clothes that are duplicate of what sits in your closet at home.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 06:57 AM

Don't forget, it can snow in Jerusalem in the winter.