world nomad travel insurance

Oct 4th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

world nomad travel insurance

Does anyone have experience with this Australian based company. Their policies seem very comprehensive and inexpensive compared to US companies.
According to the web site http://www.worldnomads.com
they insure travelers from all countries.
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:19 AM

I'm not familiar with worldnomads, but residents of US and Canada can get a very reasonably priced policy that also includes trip cancellation/delay coverage at sta (statravel.com). I've (fortunately) never had to file a claim with them tho, so I can't speak to that - but STA does have a good reputation.
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:44 PM
sandi

Very impressive low prices for World Nomads' policies, but when comparing policies offered by the major insurance companies in the USA, found on www.insuremytrip.com, there are obvious items that World Nomads does not mention. Items like Trip Interruption, pre-existing medical conditions, flight and baggage delays, losses up to AUD$2500/AUD$250 per item; pricing is in AUD which is fine if the amounts correspond to what you are spending in USD (or other). It's more a "one-size-fits-all" policy, no deviations - it's either 1-week or 2-weeks, but not 17-days.

Depending on where you're traveling, how you're traveling, cost of the trip, your age, pre-existing medical conditions, etc. etc. it appears to be a good deal, but I'd get a copy of traditional Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance policy and compare item for item and see how these impact your particular situation. If there are items not included with Nomads, that are of importance to you, I'd inquire of Nomads for clarification. Also since they are an Internet-based company, just hope you don't need them in a place where there is no Internet access available; there are some places where this may be the case.

Otherwise, if Nomads can answer all your questions and this works for you - I'd go for it.

Oct 4th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi,
I am a bit leary of using an internet based company that no one has ever used. Sometimes things are "cheap" for a reason.
Sharon had mentioned STA travel which offers insurance for travels of any age.
It seems to offer comparable to say Travel Guard or Access America but much less expensive.
Oct 4th, 2004, 02:23 PM
sandi

I checked the STA site which appears to be geared towards students (though students of all ages - I did't go thru the entire site), not unlike Nomads for backpackers - both with low or lower premiums. But since I won't put my hand into someone else's pocket, an individual/couple has to determine what they can afford to pay.

I'm past the age of backpacking and no more school studies for me, so was totally unfamiliar with these sites; no doubt, there is a market for their services.

Thankfully we've never needed to place a claim with any of the companies (Travel Guard, CSA and Access America) that have held our policies over years of travel. Yes, these major insurers are more expensive then Nomads or STA - but when I consider what I'm spending overall for a given trip, the extra I pay for insurance is pocket change. But remember, that it's the small print in comparable policies that can make a big difference or big disappointment if a claim has to be made.

Wait and see if other posters have input and/or experience with either company.

Oct 4th, 2004, 02:56 PM

STA Travel is a well known company here in the UK (and I'd assume they are, at the least, related).

Although it began as a student travel association, I believe, and stil focuses on students, young travellers and low-budget travellers it does also sell to regular travellers who are putting together their own trip.

Oddly enough I did a few days work on a consultancy basis for them once - a guy I had worked with in my last permie job moved there as their IT director and had so little faith in the skills of one of the managers (whom he could not replace) that he asked me to come in and review that person's entire strategy on that project.

Don't know anything about their specific policy though.

But I wouldn't assume without checking that their insurance policy is that much different to others - I'd actually ask for a copy of the document and check what it does and doesn't include.

When comparing policies before I have found that most (but not all) offer similar levels of medical cover but that details differ in the areas of repatriation and payment of costs for travelling companions who stay with the patient in those cases where they end up hospitalised at their desination beyond the original duration of the trip.

Most include a set max amount for trip cancellation and I was disappointed to learn that most policies only offered between £3k and £5k per person. My trip to Africa cost a lot more than that but I couldn't find a policy that would let me increase the cover in that area, even for an extra premium.

Where the cheaper policies tend to save most often though is on a) the maximum you can claim back for lost or damaged luggage, b) the maximum you can claim for any one item of lost or damaged luggage, c) the excess amount per item claimed and d) the amount they would pay out for replacement items when luggage is delayed rather than lost.

It's also worth checking things like the maximum number of days one can travel on any one trip.

Many annual policies allow unlimited trips but aren't so quick to highlight that the maximum duration for these is often under 30 days.

Just some thoughts to ponder.
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kavey,
Initally, I thought you had to be a student to purchase insurance through STA but in reading the policy info on the web it states that anyone who is a US or Canadian Citizen can purchase their travel insurance.
The policy is administered by BerkelyCare who provides travel insurance for AAA and many cruise and tour companies.
Here is the policy info for anyone who is interested in comparing.

Schedule of Coverages and Services Maximum Benefits Per Person Up to:
PART A. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT PROTECTION
Trip Cancellation Total Trip Cost (max. $20,000)
Trip Interruption Total Trip Cost (max. $20,000)
Trip Delay $300
PART B. MEDICAL PROTECTION
Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains $250,000
Medical Expense $100,000
PART C. BAGGAGE PROTECTION
Baggage/Personal Effects $1,500
Baggage Delay $500
PART D. TRAVEL ACCIDENT PROTECTION
Accidental Death & Dismemberment
Air Common Carrier $50,000
Any Other Circumstance $10,000
PART E. WORLDWIDE EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE (AIG Assist)
Emergency Cash Transfer Assistance 24 Hours
Medical Assistance 24 Hours
Traveler's Assistance 24 Hours

TRAVEL PROTECTION COST

Trip Duration

Up to 8 Days $43
9-15 Days $65
16-22 Days $95
23-31 Days $120
32-45 Days $150
46-60 Days $180
Up to 3 Months $230
Up to 4 Months $280
Up to 5 Months $330
Up to 6 Months $380
Up to 7 Months $420
Up to 8 Months $470
Up to 9 Months $520
Up to 10 Months $570
Up to 11 Months $620
Up to 12 Months $670
Up to 13 Months $720
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Even tho STA is largely known as a student travel org, they also offer non-student airfares and services. Also, if you're a teacher, you can get an ITIC (internatl teacher ident card), similar to an ISIC (internatl student) that is accepted for special airfares on certain airlines (check with STA as to which airlines at any given time and whether the reduced fare can be applied to non-teacher spouses) and other discounts. I don't think it's as good as ISIC, but for those of us who aren't students, it can be useful. If it applies, here's the link http://www.statravel.com/Statravel/c...px?menuid=6003.
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Sharon,
Thanks for the additional info. A simliar policy with Access America would be $200 more.
Of course, no one wants to really have to use their travel insurance but it does bring you great peace of mind knowing the company stands behinds its policies.
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Another update on the BerkelyCare insurance that is avialbale throught STA Travel (www.statravel.com).
I spoke to a rep at STA Travel today and was told that yes, individuals travelers regardless of age that are US or Canadian Citizens may purchase the insurance and you do not have to be a student.
But if your travel is not booked by STA there are three clauses in the policy that would not be effective.
Terrorism Clause
Financial Default Clause
Pre-Existing Medical condition waiver

For some travelers these exclusions may not be a issue and the cost savings is substantial.
So bottom line, read the terms and condtions and compare policies prior to purchasing to make sure you are getting the coverage that you need.

Oct 5th, 2004, 12:59 PM
sandi

wallybrenda

Interesting information

>>But if your travel is not booked by STA there are three clauses in the policy that would not be effective.
Terrorism Clause
Financial Default Clause
Pre-Existing Medical condition waiver<<

Terrorism is an "iffy" cover even on regular policies, all are different, and few cover except maybe on an individual basis depending on where & how this might occur - what I refer to as "pre-existing terrorism clause".

Financial Default (bankruptcy) also not covered except for a few insurers who only cover certain defaults, so you have to check which companies are included, rarely foreign airlines, and few tour operators.

As for Pre-Existing, this is only covered when insurance purchased within 7 or 14 days or initial deposit.

So depending on any individuals particular situation, omitting these three items may well be worth the difference in price - unless you're about to die from some desease and this trip is your last hurrah, are prone to be in the wrong place where catastrophes happen - flying schrapnel, and every airline goes kaput at the same time.

This has been an interesting learning lesson about the various options available. So, from who are you buying your insurance?

Oct 5th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi,
You are exactly right on about those three clauses.
Bottomline is I want good Trip cancellation, Delay & Interruption coverage as well as the medical evacuation etc.
Both my husband and I are healthy so no real pre-existing medical problems and neither our tour operator nor Wilderness Safari's are listed on the covered suppliers for financial default...so with that said similar coverage for our trip duration with Access America is $397 and Berkely Care is $190.
$200 is several nice dinners in Cape town...hmmmm.
Will most likely go with STA and BerkelyCare.
Oct 5th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Thanks for doing that extra leg work for comparison! I bought the STA insurance last year when we went to Thailand and your info has convinced me to do the same this time around as well. As you said, insurance is something you hope you'll never need, but some of these trips are big investments and it pays to have the coverage just in case. If you find out anything additional, please post it.
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:27 AM
sandi

wallybrenda -
Since Berkely Care backs the STA policy, why not try contacting Berkely directly (I know they back some other "name" policies, but can't recall which) and see what they offer on their regular policies. There might be something more that STA and less then, say, an Access America. Just one more check for options and go from there. And, yes, thanks for the thorough information for anyone looking for trip insurance.

Oct 6th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

I did speak to BerkelyCare directly and they explained that they are a "wholesale" insurance provider. Meaning they do not sell directly to individual travelers but instead package their insurance and sell it to large travel companies such as STA, AAA, RCI, Cruise Lines, etc.
Perhaps this is why they can offer comparable coverage for so much less.
In my research, I have only found STA Travel as a independent source to purchase through.

Oct 6th, 2004, 01:14 PM
sandi

wallybrenda -

Thanks for all the work you've done on this subject. Certainly enough for those interested can have alternatives for future travel.

Search this Thread