Search

Winelands Hotel Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winelands Hotel Advice Needed

We will be spending 2 nights in Franschhoek
in October and need advice on where to stay.
We have narrowed it down to La Petite Ferme,
Klein Genot, Franschhoek Hotel, and Mont
Rochelle. Opinions greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM

We stayed at Le Quatier Francais - which is not on you list - and we absolutely LOVED it!

I don't know about the last 3 on you list, but I loved the setting at La Petite Ferme and their lunch was spectacular. I think my husband would want to stay there just for the view and the food if we went back.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Yep... the food at La Petite Ferme is awesome! (Get the trout!) Staying there overnight would probably be nice; just get away when the lunch traffic shows up I guess...
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Docb

Staying at La Petit Ferme is a great experience. The concept of noise is non existent even over the lunch time period as the cottages are far way from the restaurant parking area. As a matter of fact the cottages have their own private roadway. The cottages are spacious, very well furnished and have fabulous views. I have either stayed at or visited all the venues you speak of in your mail and my personal feeling is that Le Petit is the best of the 4.

Personally I would'nt have opted for the venues you have chosen but then I suppose its a case of horses for courses. My reason for having different choices to you are because I believe one can do much better price wise and attain the same quality that you seem to be seeking when staying in Franschhoek than staying at the 4 places you have mentioned. A classic example is if you stayed at The Plumwood Inn where the quality of stay is as good (if not better) for 65% of for example Le Petit Ferme price

No matter whether we differ on choices I can assure you that you will have a wonderful stay at Le Petit Ferme. I have stayed there on two occasions and on both occasions my stay was excellent.

Hope that you have a wonderful stay in the Cape Town region when you visit us in October.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:52 AM
abk

If you don't mind staying about 10 minutes out of town, can highly recommend Cathbert Country Inn - at the top of a vineyard, very quiet, very comfortable with good service and great food. A straight run into Frans. and away from all the 'traffic'. Cottage Fromage for lunch at the end of the drive and close to many other wineries.
Don;t forget to book a picnic lunch at Boschendal - another nice place for lunch is Seidelberg
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks forall the advice. We will probably do La
Petite Ferme now. Can't wait to have some
great meals and wines in that area.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:48 AM

Selwyn, great to see you recommending the Plumwood Inn which is the B&B Pete and I discovered on our trip in 2004 - seems so long ago and yet the memories are so fresh.

The hosts really understand comfort and hospitality and their rooms are wonderful. I believe they've since added an annexe/ next door with additional rooms or am I imagining that?